Ulysses forum? Discourse? Table of Contents

Ulysses Users: I have a few questions that perhaps you can help me with:

• Is there an up-to-date good forum for Ulysses users? The best I’ve found so far is this one.
  • Is there a Ulysses Discourse forum and if so, do you know the URL?
  • Is there a way to create an automated TOC in Ulysses? I’m aware of the outline feature. What I’d like to do is generate a TOC at the top of a long Ulysses sheet. Suggestions?

Thanks!

Have you read that already?
https://jennifermack.net/2015/04/01/a-table-of-contents-generator-for-ulysses-and-markdownxl/

I had not seen that, thanks for sharing. Unfortunately, scripting is above my pay grade. :slightly_smiling_face:

There are a couple of instructions you can find (or with the damn name “Ulysses” rather not) on the net about that.
I’m also complete lost when it came to scripting (to long since I learned all that stuff in School) but you might be interested in adjusting a CSS for Ulysses anyway, so it might be worse to have a look into it.
I managed to adjust a CSS with the help I found (but have the link not available at the moment), to get a PDF formatted in a way I can use with our justice system. So if I’m able to do this, virtually anybody would.
I use TextMate as an Editor. There is a Ulysses Plug-In for TextMate with all the available phrases.

I assume you’re joking on the first one, since that’s apparently some gaming-related forum.

Otherwise, the answers to your first two bullet points unfortunately both seem to be “No.”

Specifically re the first bullet point: I’ve typically found this one where we are now to be the most useful regarding Ulysses! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, that is encouraging for one who has done zero coding/programming (the make the point vivid, I’m not sure if there is a difference between coding and programming! :slightly_smiling_face:). I’ll check into the CSS issue, perhaps I can take time to master something simple. I’m not concerned about my ability to learn this stuff, just about my time and inclination to do so. :slightly_smiling_face:

I wasn’t joking; I’m not a gamer so I had no idea it was a gaming forum. It just didn’t look right to me and I did not bother to create an account. :slightly_smiling_face:

It looks like the Ulysses forum is MPU. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

When I adjust the CSS, I have 3 open windows:

1. Text Mate, to change the CSS
  2. Ulysses to type in something to do some tests
  3. The Ulysses-PDF preview to see the changes immediately.

Just save every change (of course work with a copy of the original CSS-File) within TextMate, and you will see the result almost immediately.

You can export the sheet and open the file in iA Writer to add a TOC. If you try to open the document in Ulysses after adding the TOC Ulysses will not recognize the TOC.

Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately, I don’t do CSS. :confused:

Thanks, that is good to know. I’ll check this out, thanks much!