Ulysses having issues with icloud sync...15-20 groups with sheets not downloading

In my case, they finally had me send them logs from my Mac and they found that the iCloud setup had become corrupted somehow. I followed their resulting instructions and all has gone well since; that was about a month ago. Have they asked you for that data as well?

Not to pile on here, but Ulysses syncing is not great here either…or at least not immediate. Over the last 30 minutes: in the first 15, no update to my iPad from my Mac writing. Then, full update 15 minutes in and only takes 10 seconds or so now to sync from Mac to iPad. Doesn’t engender great confidence. For grins, I tested Notability sync, which is also on iCloud, and the sync nearly instantaneous among three devices. My subscription just renewed for the year on the 17th. Ugh.

Ulysses continues to have iCloud sync issues

I was looking at Ulysses reviews in the App Store today and noticed several recent reviews with complaints about iCloud sync issues. This is not a new issue as has been discussed here. This has been an ongoing issue for several years. It’s the main reason that I no longer use Ulysses.

I would think that Ulysses would do something to fix this problem. Of course, they always say the problem is with iCloud Drive and not Ulysses. I don’t buy that because lots of other apps use iCloud with no problems. I recently wrote about that here.

Maybe they should spend some of their subscription money on developing a sync backend.

Well FWIW i sync about 1.2 million words in Ulysses and haven’t had any sync issues for several years.

One of my most-used apps - I mostly write on the Mac, edit (occasionally) on iOS. No sync issues here.

As I noted earlier in the thread, my iCloud problems with Ulysses turned out to be due to some weirdness specific to my Mac. However, it’s clear from reading App Store reviews that a number of apps, Ulysses among them, have run into a buzzsaw, iCloud-wise, with iOS 13 and Catalina. (So has iA Writer, apparently, although its team seems to have found ways to mitigate the issues.) There is plenty of blame to go around.

All that said, my Ulysses-specific writing output has dwindled recently for a variety of reasons, and — with my subscription coming to an end before long — I have a decision to make. Last year, I decided to stick with Big U. The jury is out right now.

Not sure if this helps but I created a new group (folder) in Ulysses and moved all the sheets into a new group. I waited for it to sync to my other devices then moved them back into the original folder. That cleared up one folder that was blocking the other folders from syncing that seemed to clear it up.

I suspect it’s more an iCloud issue than an individual app issue. Most of the time, iCloud syncing in Ulysses has worked for me. But once in a blue moon, the iCloud monster rears its ugly head.

1 Like

Hi, also having trouble with unreliable iCloud-Sync. The external-folders-method in iCloud Drive (mentioned by bwintx) seems to be an alternative to the “normal” iCloud-sync. Works for me across 2 Macs, an iPhone and an iPad. But have to test it for some time first, as normal iCloud-Sync also works for days or even weeks at a time. And then comes a day with hiccups…