Uninstall Dropbox macOS File Browser

Has anyone found much use for the new Dropbox app that was launched last year for macOS? I find myself using Finder almost exclusively. Is there a way to uninstall it?

Here’s an article that touches on it https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/07/dropbox-support-reps-dont-seem-to-know-how-dropbox-for-mac-works/.

No, I hate this thing and it’s going to be the reason why I switch to full iCloud Drive when my Dropbox subscription is up for renewal next year.

2 Likes

I don’t like it either. You prompted me to look again. There is now a button in your dropbox preferences to turn off that feature. I just tested it and it appears to remove the feature or at least disable.

2 Likes

@Scout is correct: there is a simple checkbox in Dropbox > Preferences to remove the desktop app feature. See screenshot below.

I wondered what the problem was. I have never seen this desktop app even though I have used Dropbox for several years. Maybe the desktop app on startup is switched off by default now?

4 Likes

Thanks. I think I managed to find how to switch this off a few days ago as well. I think it’s interesting that Dropbox is trying to make their product more useful as I think their engineering on the syncing side is unparalleled but they shouldn’t make users have to opt out.

1 Like

I tried to like the Dropbox desktop app. I agree, did not find it useful. Now the Smart Sync feature works flawlessly and is one of the things that kept me on Dropbox another year.

2 Likes

Another reason I’m annoyed is, whenever I click on a Dropbox file notification on MacOS, it opens the file in the Dropbox app and not in Finder. Anyone figure out a way to open in Finder?

No, I’ve already uninstalled it.