Updates and paranoia

So, am I paranoid to consider not updating past iOS 12 on my iPhone 7?

I figure they made updates to speed up and stabilize some older phones. Mostly due to pressure to show that they are not throttling or impacting performance to motivate people to upgrade. I don’t think they do it on purpose, but I can imagine they’ll stop caring about my phone the iPhone 7 within the year. So updates to the iOS may eventually slow down the phone because of their focus on the new phones again.

By not upgrading you’ll be missing out on security updates too - not all of these are talked about simply to try and make it harder for people who would act maliciously. That is something worth keeping in mind when evaluating software upgrades.

1 Like

ios 12 is running great on iphone 6 and 7 plus here - no reason not to and perceptible performance improvements

I definitely say paranoid. Why consider not doing something that is a year away based on how you think a company may behave? It’s way, way too early to worry about!

I don’t see any reason not to take Apple at their word that they just wanted to make sure phones work well for longer. When I thought about it, I came to the conclusion that Apple computers and phones have always aged much, much better than any other company’s already.

My iPhone 6 is now annoyingly useable such that I don’t have a genuine need to upgrade (but I will this year).

I think be thankful that you are right in the era of promoting longevity for whatever reason, and wait and see.

1 Like

Yeah. The update improved the stabilty of my phone. I’m still kind of tempted to not update up to iOS 13 and compare my phone to an iPhone 7 that had updated. Now to be clear, I don’t think they do it on purpose but I do think they stop prioritizing older phones as new phones come out. iOS fixed a lot of issues and bugs that were introduced in previous updates.

It would be interesting is tech blogs looked at peeformancd across models that update and those that don’t. I guess that’s how they found out about CPU throttling.