Upgrading Our Internet and our Wi-Fi: Chapter 1: My eero disappointment

Yes, that’s why I bought it too, which is really the underlying sentiment behind my disappointment.

Even deleting and re-configuring my entire network did not solve the problem, although it did make it better.

I have still yet to hear anything from Eero support. I suppose I could call their 877 number, but I really didn’t want to go that route.

It’s very strange when I have an eero beacon in the same room with me, yet some of my devices will connect to a different eero that is further away, and I’m not sure why. Worse, there’s no way to say “Join this device, not that one.”

So I ended up disconnecting one of my remote eero units for the time being.

2 Likes

You should reconsider calling Eero support. I have called Eero twice and received excellent support. The support reps have the capability of receiving information from your Eero network.

2 Likes

I can only assume the support staff are overwhelmed with calls at the moment. Again though one wonders if that in itself could have been addressed by now by extra staff in Silicon Valley or wherever they are? In my home village some tradesmen used to cite the “War” in regard to supply problems, about 20 years later! LOL. They were bought up by Amazon I believe? I did one time get through to their support who told me really that Verizon were the problem. Eero were actually very helpful but Verizon solved the speed problem for me that I hadn’t realized really that I had, along with the connection dropping that was happening because the router was really quite old. It does seem, reading between the tech’s lines, that Verizon don’t exactly advertise the point that one’s router might be a bit old.

I suggest looking at that, even for an expert like you @tjluoma ? The eero stuff is now unnecessary for me and never was really any use as far as I can see. I am waiting for my wife to have time to try it in her office. I will let you know how that goes. I will add I really don’t understand stuff at this level, or electronics as such. I got the feeling that the Eero just wan’t helping in my context that much, partly because the problems were really nothing to do with anything the Eero could address?

Good point - I’m sure any company providing home internet-related support is quite busy these days, but Eero support was not a problem for me in mid-April during the CV-19-related disruption. The wait time for a support rep was minimal, and the rep was helpful to walk me through an unusual wi-fi setup.

I was trying to set up my daughter’s internet connection and ethernet/wi-fi network in her newly-constructed home. I wanted to re-purpose an extra older version-1 Eero to use as a 2nd wi-fi access point, operating behind her trusted Synology RT2600-AC router. This required configuration of the Eero to bridge mode and ensuring proper operation so that my daughter could work at home. It was reassuring that the Eero rep could “see” the network and ensure proper setup. The Eero tech support was excellent, and my daughter’s network works well now.

1 Like

Who is your provider? Symmetrical speeds like that must cost a fortune.

I get about 666/46 wired, and 90/41 over wifi (5GHz) to my Synology RT2600-AC router, 7’ away.

I don’t think it’s been mentioned, some providers play games when they sense that you’re using a speed test so they will have the appearance of being better than the competition.

2 Likes

This might be a handy reference for maximum throughput based on the standard used.

3 Likes

My eero used to do that all the time @tjluoma I had forgotten about it until I read your comment. It was absurd in fact. I had the most distant one connected some of the time to my Mac in one particular room. In other words the distance between the ‘connections’ was as far as it could be and still be in my house. Now I remember I did notice there was no manual control over which one to use.

I came to the conclusion that all parts of my house are really wi-fi ‘close’ with maybe one or two ‘shadows’ by the chimney etc.? The real problems were with the router as I said and which though resolved were never understood by me.

I was frustrated by phones latching onto the wrong endpoint after moving through the house in my early days using mesh, because I was looking at the connected devices view so much, but I’ve only had to toggle WiFi off and on a couple times a year to get the speed I want. They do switch eventually. It’d be nice to assign endpoints manually though.

I use a XMission, a local ISP

For my gigabit connection, I pay about $80 a month.

2 Likes

I wish we had your $80 connection. I was paying the same for a 100 Mbps with no alternative providers.

Recently, I went down to 10 Mbps and much to my surprise it’s working ok. Obviously I’m not moving big files. I do not have a TV… 27" iMac, iPad, and phone. My current personal web site theme does not demand much in the way of graphics. I notice a few second more downloading large apps. YouTube works well.

If I go-ahead with a new site with lots of video I’ll buy all the speed I can. I’m not sure whether to laugh or cry reading this thread about the paltry speeds that other folks get.