USB-C on the new iPad Pro

Got the Apple Digital A/V multiport adapter a couple of years ago with my late 2016 MacBook Pro. I HATED that adapter. Didn’t work half the time. Got a Hootoo USB-C hub instead.

1 Like

Dedicated cables work better in stationary settings, for example if you have a monitor or TV that you will always connect to. I got one of those cables for my home monitor, and I keep the USB-C-HDMI dongle in my briefcase in my little “MacGyver” pouch of dongles, connectors, and cables. I think dedicated cables are cheaper than dongles as well.

2 Likes

The HooToo looks great, thanks! Will confirm the iPad Pro is supported before ordering :slight_smile:

Actually according to Marco on the latest ATP the new iPad Pros will draw up to 45 watts to fast charge if its available from the charger.

4 Likes

Wow, very confusing… Follow up question on the USB C cable that comes with the iPad Pro: if it’s only for charging, can you still plug it into an iMac with a USB C port and restore from an iTunes backup to set it up? Or will I need to buy a data capable cable to do that?

Yes, but it will be limited to USB 2.0 speeds.

2 Likes

Chris is right, you will need a USB-c cable that operates at 10 Gbps or more in order to do the fast data transfer that Apple advertises for the new iPad. The cable that comes in the box doesn’t do that.

That said, you might consider doing a full iCloud backup beforehand on your old machine, and restoring from that.

2 Likes

Interesting! In that case I’d rather spend $40 on Anker’s 60w charger than $49 for Apple’s 30w unit.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Delivery-Charger-PowerPort-Matebook-x/dp/B07BQJWDRM/

2 Likes

Next up at my house will be these:

https://www.leviton.com/en/products/t5633-w

I have a few of the Leviton receptacles with two USB-A ports, but with the new iPad, having a few with USB-A and USB-c will be handy.

2 Likes

Apple makes a Lightning to SD reader; I presume they have or will have one for the new USB C iPads that would work directly with your SD cards.

If using a different card reader, I believe it will depend on the current draw needed by the card reader. On my previous generation iPad Pro, I need to use the USB 3 camera kit cable while plugged into a power source that can deliver more than 5W (depending on iPad charge level) in order to use my USB 3 Compact Flash card reader.

The new iPad Pro models may be able to provide more power to USB devices. I think I read the spec somewhere but don’t recall which review had it.

If connecting the camera directly to the iPad, you should be good without an external power source because the camera can provide its own power during the transfer.

1 Like

On the most recent ATP Marco Arment indicated that Apple told him the new iPad Pros can provide up to 7.5 watts to an attached USB-C device, so they should be able to power a greater variety of USB-C accessories than previous iPads.

2 Likes

What is ATP? I always thought it was adenosine triphosphate, but I’m a biochemist by training… what do I know?

2 Likes

The Accidental Tech Podcast.

1 Like

Does anyone know why chargers with multiple USB-C ports don’t exist yet? I mean, I don’t want to buy a Mac Mini for $799 just so I can have four USB-C ports to charge my devices with. What’s stopping Apple from taking the Mac Mini, removing the computer, and leaving us with power in, 4 USB-C out?

1 Like

I was literally just looking for this on Amazon. I believe one of the reasons why you don’t see this much (yet) is because in my experience a large chunk of USB C Android phones are sold with a USB A to USB C cable in the box. However maybe the iPad (and next year’s iPhone?) will push manufacturers to do more.

There is one Aukey charger which outputs up to 36W that I found, and it has 2 USB C ports on it, but that won’t charge my 15" MacBook Pro!

1 Like

I was looking for a charger with multiple USB-C ports a while back and couldn’t find anything.

FYI last year Kannon Yamada wrote an interesting article on the Good, Bad and Ugly facts about USB-C chargers. He explained why you want to avoid some, and made some recommendations:

1 Like

A friend directed me to a site which does teardowns and analyses of battery chargers, and also some power adapters (but few USB-C chargers). Site’s conclusion in its review of Apple’s 61w USB-C charger was that it was a good charger for Apple devices but not necessarily the best as a general PD supply.

The site also has a positive overall review for Xiaomi’s Mi 45W USB-C charger CDQ02ZM, which costs $20 in China - or $26 shipped from a reseller.

FYI I saw on Slickdeals that the $40 Anker 60w charger I mentioned above has dropped (today only?) to $28 with coupon code ANKERCH3

1 Like

I don’t understand why people are freaking out about USB-C chargers with multiple ports, output, fast charging, buying new chargers, etc. The USB-C chargers that are currently available are big, bloated beasts that I don’t want to carry. All I did was get a few USB-A to USB-C charging cables and continued to use my Aukey compact multiple USB-A chargers. No, it’s not Fast Charging but I don’t care. It charges, and that’s what matters.

1 Like