Use iPhone as webcam - alternatives to EpocCam?

I wanted to upgrade my webcam for Zoom & Skype calls, then researched using the iPhone as an alternative. I found one solution, EpocCam (http://www.kinoni.com/) that does the job - but it is fiddly.
The paid app runs on the iPhone and free drivers need to be installed on the Mac. Quality is good (WiFi or USB) but the iPhone app needs to be restarted if the call is interrupted.
Did anybody came across alternative solutions?

I am surprised this topic has not garnered more attention. (Whoops! I see it is only 3h old.)

In any case, I had this very same need/interest. Most sub-$50 webcams are sold out in my area at brick and mortar stores. I am surprised no developer has taken up this need, especially given the current situation with COVID-19. I suspect many school children and working adults are needing webcams for their desktop machines.

1 Like

I should probably have titled my post ā€œOMG iPhone as a WebCam !!! (you will not believe step 2)ā€

6 Likes

@Alain, what about just running Zoom or Skype directly on the iPhone or do you need to run those from the Mac for screen sharing or file sharing purposes?

Indeed - most calls include sharing presentations of apps so the big screen is welcome.

1 Like

Hi @Alain I wanted to reach back out to you and see if you have solved this issue. I give Zoom presentations off my laptop (need to share slides in Keynote), but Iā€™m considering using my phone as a webcam. How is your process going?

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing @bowline. This looks interesting. I just requested access on the Camo website.

1 Like

Iā€™m looking forward to hearing how this goes; I donā€™t have enough of a need to be a guinea pig, but if youā€™re able to share what itā€™s like, that would be deeply appreciated!

Iā€™ll take on the role of guinea pig for this oneā€¦and will be happy to share my experiences. As it stands, Iā€™m currently in the queue to gain access.

1 Like

Iā€™ve personally done pretty well with epoc cam. The secret is to use an old iPhone you have lying around.

Iā€™ve generally had good luck with EpocCam as well.

Iā€™ve used it with both my iPhone 5 and my iPhone 11 Pro Max and found that both worked reliably. The UI takes some getting used to, but is generally functional. Iā€™ll be curious to see how Reincubate Camo compares.

I tried epoc cam, but then realized that Zoom had discontinued support for ā€œvirtual camerasā€ (there was an FAQ on epocā€™s website) in some point update to version 4.

Then Zoom version 5 was released and they mentioned that it was going to be required, I think at the end of May?

So Iā€™ll be interested to see if Camo can work with Zoom version 5.

According to the release notes for the most recent Zoom version, virtual camera support has been restored.

Good news. Virtual camera support has already returned to Zoom. I was using this feature extensively earlier today. Most notably, I was testing Ecamm Live as a virtual camera for Zoom, with both my webcam and EpocCam feeding in to Ecamm Live. Worked like a charm! Iā€™ll also be curious to check out Reincubate Camo once I have access.

Oh! Well that is good news. I have to credit the Zoom folks, they have been working very hard and fast on releasing new versions and fixing bugs.

Not sure why this feature went away, but glad to see it restored.

1 Like

This maybe should be a new topic, but how do you like Ecamm Live, @timstringer? Iā€™ve been playing with it today and it seems pretty slick.

Iā€™ve been very impressed with Ecamm Live. Iā€™m finding it very flexible and easy to use and it works well with Zoom. I ended up paying for a year of Ecamm Live Pro.

Iā€™m happy to share additional thoughts and compare notes. As you mentioned, it would probably be best to start a new thread.

1 Like

@timstringer - Did you start a new thread?

For others, here is a link to ā€˜Ecamm Live Proā€™:

https://www.ecamm.com/mac/ecammlive/pro.html

1 Like

@KurtWerstein ā€” I havenā€™t started a new thread on the Ecamm Live Proā€¦but am happy to chime in with my experiences if youā€™re willing to start the thread.