User Power Drain?

Does anyone ever just get tired when a new project starts? Excited for the project, but “tired” from the reality of installing “whatever you will need”.

For me, excited to start on a network of blogs with some friends. Not so thrilled anymore that I need to install wordpress, customize the theme, do some css work, hunt down for good plugins. In my younger days, I used to be excited to do all the custom work, but it just takes so much energy, by the time I want to do something “creative” for me, I am done at night.

Yes, I know what I am saying…probably defying the requirements for being a “power user”. Sounds treasonous almost. Anyone ever go through the same thing?

• side note - I thought about outsourcing this time around all the Wordpress stuff to someone on Upwork. I was getting quotes of 20 hours required for the theme customization job, and most wordpress developers start off at around $60/hour. But then the thought, I could save the money and just do it myself.

On the WordPress front, have you considered just putting people on Micro.Blog? It’s basic, but secure - and very useful in limiting what can be changed which makes it much less work :wink:

I get what you mean, it’s hard getting these new projects which are super fun, but the minutiae can definitely bog one down!

1 Like

I’m curious about about what you are getting for 20 hours of work.

I’m thinking

• Server setup such as CloudWays 20 minutes
  • Basic theme selection plugins and planning/imagining what’s it supposed to accomplish 3 hours
  • Basic WP & theme install 10 min
  • Name header and favicons 1 hour
  • Theme modification using built in setting (StudioPress Genesis and Child) theme, 1 hour
  • Basic plugins such as Akismet and Jet Pack, 30 minutes
  • Advanced Plugins such as email subscribers and and, 2 hours
  • Basic pages setup such as about page and contact page, 1hour
  • Another 2 hours for — “Oh that what they meant!”

11 hours for someone that used WP in the not to distant past. Or a beginner with simple ideas and a theme that mostly works out of the box.

I can easily imagine much less of a time investment for a rank amateur.

Of course this whole post is fantasy.

I am also curious and still waiting for a response from the potential candidates. I have outlined the following for them.

I already took care the following (based on your list)

• server setup on Cloudways (love this company btw)
  • Selected a theme, already sketched out all the pages, placements, and what not
  • did the basic WP install (2019 default theme for now)
  • did a basic page setup for the main site
  • did a basic WP multisite install on the second site and all the above listed

Literally, just need…

• theme modification (child themes)
  • basic and advanced plugins (I can probably do this myself)

Best line from a candidate that I received earlier this week.
“I know you installed WP already, but I will probably need to re-install again it to make sure it was done correctly, because this can be a complex procedure”

That certainly is a line.

I’ve done a few sites some with a deal of fancy graphics or lay out. To answer the tired query part of your post. I did my last personal bog using a theme a simple theme executed in a barebones style. No fuss with lots of control.

I don’t think getting tired of doing the tedious up front work is against being a power user, just the opposite in fact.

For me, I used to enjoy fiddling around with custom built PCs and Windows, but I think that was largely the joy of learning.

Now, I want my tools to be set up and just work, so I can use them to good effect.

Most carpenters would not rebuild their workshop from scratch each job, they’d just hone their tools and use their skills.

3 Likes

I guess it depends on you goals or intention. I used to enjoy fiddling with computers, building PCs, running Linux, setting up Apache, ruby and rails, etc.
Now my goals are different. Computers are a tool that need to just work. That’s why I use Apple products.

Similarly, when I was a teenager, the goal was a car; I put mag wheels on my mom’s Chevette. Now the car is a tool, and where I’m going matters more.

1 Like

This perspective is interesting; I haven’t thought about it like that. Years ago, I used to enjoy tinkering with and building PCs too. Then, after a number of IT jobs (and friends/family tech support), I lost interested.

Part of the reason why I went into the Apple ecosystem is, I just want things to work. Even now, there are days where I wish I had an IT person so that I don’t have to fix things myself…

2 Likes