Verify local Time on AFPS Volume

I ama t a loss - I have my Time MAchine on a local SSD in an APFS Volume (one more volume is on the SDD). How can I verify the Time Machine backup? Pressind option after clicking the time machine icon (Verify your backup disk on Mac – Apple Support (UK) ) shows only “Browse other backup disks”, but not verify?
Or does Verify only work on backup disks, and not APFS Volumes?

I’m not aware of a verify command for Apple Time Machine. But to convince myself that Time Machine is working I look for a few recently created or modified files on the backup drive using the Time Machine user interface.

I make sure each file is present and that it contains my latest content and recent changes.

Older versions of files may be available on the backup so MAKE SURE YOU ARE LOOKING AT THE LATEST VERSION OF YOUR FILE. View your files in Time Machine but DO NOT CLICK RESTORE unless that is what you want to do.

Watch this short video by Apple especially for the sections Enter Time Machine, Search, and Previewing Backups. How to restore files from a Time Machine backup | Apple Support - YouTube

You can try this app (The Time Machine Mechanic)

I purchased the app “BackupLoupe” to resolve some sort of now long forgotten (and probably not a real problem) TimeMachine backup. It gives a good summary of all the past backups which might be what you are looking for.

Thanks evarybody. The backups are working, but only if I am lopcked in. I will start a new thread with the error message.

I found a possible solution - I will come back when it does not work.

When I check my Time Machine backups, I don’t just look at the interface, but I actually test the restore feature. After all, that’s what I need in a backup! I don’t care if it’s in the Time Machine interface; I need to be able to actually restore it.

I think it’s fine to restore a few random files via Time Machine because you can easily restore them as a copy. (Doing so does not overwrite the current file.) Fully restoring a copy of a file helps to convince me that I can actually get to the data that’s in the backup.

3 Likes

Yup, I agree. Verifying that restore actually works is vital. However, as the OP seemed a little shaky on how to use Time Machine, I wanted to steer clear of actually changing anything on disk for fear that a new version might be clobbered by an older one. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Just to let you know what helped: I found a thread with the same message, and it was recommended to do

1. disabling time machine
  2. sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.TimeMachine
  3. restart and setup TImeMachine again (using the previously used time machine backup volume)
    And this worked
1 Like