Verizon In-home 5G Any Good?

Verizon is offering in-home 5G in our area. It’s $50 per month unlimited (no data caps) with an advertised 1 gigabit speed and an average download speed of 300 mps. No contract.

I currently pay $120 per month for 500 mps through the cable company. The only other option in our area is Centurylink, which can only offer 3mps with DSL.

Anyone have any experience with in-home 5G? Any feedback?

1 Like

Is it mmWave? Did Verizon say anything about that?

Here’s a link to the info at Verizon.

https://www.verizon.com/5g/home/

I am using in Charlotte, NC. I within a 1/10 of mile of a tower and have excellent service. 2 maybe 3 times as fast as the previous max Comcast cable service that I was using.

It has been installed and used actively on a daily basis since the middle of May and I have only experienced one “outage” that necessitated a reset from Verizon. Other than that I am extremely pleased.

1 Like

A good friend of mine has tried it in an area that has iffy cellular service and he is getting poor results. So I’d say at a minimum you need a good signal to their nearest tower. Both Verizon and T-Mobile are doing this, and at the same price, so check those signal strengths!

He now fears he may be stuck getting satellite or moving since he works remotely and needs service!

1 Like

Resurrecting a very old post.

I just heard about this as I was doing some research on options to get off of xfinity.

Does anyone have Verizon 5G Home service? The salesperson said I definitely want the 5G Home Plus option which gives you priority over the other plan. Have no idea if this is just a sales pitch to pay extra.

One (of many) things I hate about my current xfinity service is that upload speeds are around 25mbps.

I do get 800mbps down. The Verizon salesperson said that I would only get about 500 down (but 500 up).

The good news is that I can get a free one-month trial so I assume I will do that but curious if others have an opinion.

Check the small print:

5G Home plan with up to 100 Mbps download speeds (on 5G Ultra Wideband mid-band): Typical download speeds of 50-85 Mbps. Upload speeds of 5-10 Mbps. Video streaming optimized up to 1080p on capable devices. 2 year service price guarantee.

5G Home plan with up to 300 Mbps download speeds (on 5G Ultra Wideband high-band): Typical download speeds of 85-300 Mbps. Upload speeds of 10-20 Mbps. Video streaming optimized up to 1080p on capable devices. 2 year service price guarantee.

5G Home Plus plan with up to 300 Mbps download speeds (on 5G Ultra Wideband mid-band): Typical download speeds of 85-250 Mbps. Upload speeds of 10-20 Mbps. Video streaming optimized up to 4K on capable devices. 3 year service price guarantee. Includes Verizon Cloud Unlimited.

5G Home Plus plan with up to 1 Gig download speeds (on 5G Ultra Wideband high-band): Typical download speeds of 300-1000 Mbps. Upload speeds of 25-75 Mbps. Video streaming optimized up to 4K on capable devices. 3 year service price guarantee. Includes Verizon Cloud Unlimited.

There appears to be 2 options for each plan (mid-band or high-band). I’m assuming availability depends on location. Regardless, it appears the absolute best upload speed one could hope for is only 25-75 Mbps (with the Plus plan with high-band).

Thanks. I was digging as well. The two diff options per plan relates to if you are a Verizon cell customer or not.

The more I read, the less confident I am about even trying it. I also found out that I have only a few days to make a decision unless I want to overpay for a month of xfinity.

I was in your position a few years back.

Unfortunately, I can’t get that in my apt. That was why I went to the Verizon store to confirm.

Oh, that’s a bummer…

Not much help, as I’m over the pond but I’ve got unlimited 5G internet as my home broadband and it’s been fantastic. Speeds average 500Mb a month and only costs us £21 after our mid contract price rise - I can’t get those speeds from a phone line and if it was via cable, I’d be paying at least twice as much if not 3x. I left Virgin (the only cable provider) and sure I was paying £43 a month for 100Mb speeds.

It does vary in terms of speeds but usually no less than 400Mb/s and up to 800Mb/s.

Downside in the UK is that whilst fibre and cable are protected speeds (I.e. if it drops below a threshold, you can leave or get cash back for poor service), there isn’t anything like that for 5G.

Just an update.

Given that I had less time that I thought to make a decision, I went online to my xfinity account. I found that I could get a 2-year rate lock on a 1-year contract. This is actually what I did 2 years ago but didn’t remember it was a 1-year contract so I could’ve done this sooner.

Anyway, by updating my account, I actually now am paying $10/month less than what I was paying the last two years. And about $40 less if I opted to go month by month.

I’ve put a note in Omnifocus to remind me 11 months from now to check out Verizon options then and give myself a full month to try it out and see if it would make sense to switch.

1 Like

I have AT&T 5G home internet and it’s been great. Vast improvement over the old DSL line

1 Like