Very simple Siri Shortcut automation does not run

I am experimenting with Siri Shortcuts for the first time - the potential for useful automation seems huge.

But I have tried a few very simple automations which somehow do not work.

For example, I created this automation to create an Apple Note when I receive an email containing the word test. I expected that this would run attended. Instead, my iPhone alerts me to the shortcut and offers to run it. When I choose to run it, no Note is created.

Am I missing something basic?

The following automations can be run automatically:

• Time of Day
  • Alarm
  • Sleep
  • CarPlay
  • Apple Watch Workout
  • NFC
  • App
  • Airplane Mode
  • Do Not Disturb
  • Low Power Mode
  • Battery Level
  • Charger

The following automations cannot be run automatically:

• Arrive
  • Leave
  • Before I Commute
  • Email
  • Bluetooth
1 Like

Interesting - I did not realize that. That seems like a huge limiting factor to automation - why do they limit it in that regard?

Are there any 3rd party software tools which overcome this limitation?

Any idea why my Note is still not created even after I manually choose to run the automation?

You might be able to do something with a Pushcut Automation Server, but that requires an always-on iOS device.

Doesn’t everyone keep their iPHone on always? Or does that mean it has to be running only the Pushcart software 24/7?

If I upgrade to a new iphone and move the sim card to the new iPhone, can I run my older iphone on Wifi as an always-on iOs device?

For Pushcut Server to work, iOS requires the server app to be running in the foreground with the phone unlocked. You need the paid upgrade for Pushcut Pro and Server.

The server will run using wifi so a spare device works.

2 Likes