Vibe Coding Library

I vibe coded my first app, y’all! It’s a simple timer app that helps you get started with something you’re avoiding. You type what you want to have done or be doing in ten minutes and then you start the timer. I’d been doing this in Apple Notes and setting a regular timer, but this is better (for me). It’s available (for free) on the App Store.

I thought I’d say a bit about my experience and wonder if we might establish a thread (this one or another) that inventories/archives our vibe coding efforts. My process was to design the screens in Illustrator and then mock-up them up in Whimsical.

Then I gave that to Claude Code (the app veresion not the terminal). It walked me through setting up the project in Xcode, setting up an Apple developer account, and (of course) making the whole thing work. It changed a bit in the process and I was able to hook into the Giphy API, which I didn’t realize existed and is more compliant with their terms. I’m so impressed/proud that after all these years of being such a fan of Mac apps, I’m able to create my own.

Would love to see what others do as well!

15 Likes

Nice idea! Got unstuck on something in seven minutes.

4 Likes

Great job!

Could you explain a bit more on the use of Illustrator and Whimsical and why you needed both?

(Illustrator is not known for being a prototyping app, so I assume you are very familiar with it and started there for convenience?)

For apps like this, did you consider some of the “all-in-one” no-code app builders versus using several tools and Claude Code, or was the choice of Claude Code made first and then the rest of tool chain reverse-engineered from there?

Just curious as to the thought processes and given that there are so many different ways to approach trying to do a project like this.

(Personally, I’ve done a few small apps in the past so I know the App Store and Xcode back-end, but stopped tinkering with apps before the whole UI/UX prototyping and now vibe coding tools came along.)

Is there any hope for someone that can’t design/do mockups?

Thank you for this @beck. I am using it now,

Is there anyway to keep it visible and prevent the screen from going dark. This maybe obvious, but I am not a phone power user!

I’m inspired! My “There’s no app for that” (or at least not one I can afford …) list has some likely candidates I’d love to spin up.

1 Like

Very cool!

I really like the anti-clockwise countdown. It somehow seems more impelling.

Katie

1 Like

Very cool, @beck! Thanks for sharing your experience. I just did something in 3 minutes that I was putting off for a few hours.

I’m curious about setting up Xcode and the dev account in terms of time and difficulty. Can you say more? Ive been doing small local projects with Claude Code and it’s wild.

BTW, love the icon, too.

2 Likes

Love these questions, some answers:

@SpivR I used both because I know both tools well and I wanted a level of precision on the design that Whimsical doesn’t give, but I wanted a level of being able to annotate and point out things that felt overly complicated in Illustrator. I wouldn’t recommend that method for someone who doesn’t. I imagine Figma would have been best, but I actually don’t know that app at all.

My first vibe coding experiments were on Lovable and I found it really frustrating to use. This was a while back and I think the models might have been part of the problem but the whole experience really felt like a slot machine (buying tokens and then every once in a while getting a payout of a feature actually working). Once Claude Code came out, I never looked back. It feels lightyears better than the wrapper vibe-coding apps to me. This was my first experience using Claude Code in the GUI instead of the terminal. I like them both for different reasons.

@sridhar Absolutely! I only did the mock-ups because I have skill in that area. I could have just described in words/screenshots from other apps what I wanted and it would have intuited a design.

My first feature request! I’ll ask Claude. :rofl:

DO IIIIIIIIIT.

Me, too! That was actually one of thet trickiest bits to get right. Claude really didn’t understand what I wanted despite repeated description and feedback. It finallly got it, though.

It was NOT hard, in fact I would go so far as to say it was a lot easier than the ~% brew/npm/install etc I’ve copied and pasted in terminal to make web apps work on localhost. Claude walked me through the whole process with Xcode from downloading it to finding specific menu items or checkboxes to click along the way. I tried to make a widget but it got a little gnarly so I backed out of that plan for now.

Claude also held my hand through the Apple Developer stuff, which wasn’t that bad but Apple could honestly have a nice web home for that part IMO. I asked Claude to review the codebase as the App Store would before submitting it and it passed so I guess that worked? :upside_down_face: I submitted it on Saturday night and received the approval Tuesday morning.

Basically, if you’ve been doing small local projects and you want them as apps on your phone or mac, I would say it’s entirely possible.

Thank you! That one was all me!

4 Likes

Right on. There might be a completely unnecessary app in my future :joy:

Thank you!

1 Like

well, not an app, but today I used Claude Code GUI to extend Tabner, a tabs manager Chrome extension and added features that I wanted.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tabner/comments/1qoz8sb/a_few_suggestions/

3 Likes

@Nick The app now stays on w/o dimming when the timer screen is counting down.

4 Likes

Perfect - thankj you

I used Claude a couple of weeks ago to make a simple simulator website that shows what bottlenecks are. The first 30 minutes was very productive, the next 4 hours were fixing and testing. It’s set me up with a simple teaching tool I can share with my clients and readers, and it cost me nothing.

https://bottleneck.clarkeching.com/

I wouldn’t have hired someone to do this and I’m very pleased with the results.

And, I may well build upon it, but for now I just wanted to teach one (retrospectively obvious) lesson.

3 Likes

@Beck this would be a great app to port to the Watch if you ever feel inclined to port it. I’d love to have In Ten as a complication on my Ultra – much more focused than just setting a timer.

Katie

3 Likes

Got Claude to update a macOS clipboard manager app for me.

The second clipboard item will be active by default so I can just hit return to paste it. Also, just press numbers to paste an item instead of Command-pasting.

3 Likes

Made browser extensions using Claude for users of Firefox and browsers like Helium where Things quick entry with autofill wouldn’t auto fill.

1 Like

Well, I finally got around to vibe-coding an actual app.

Today Claude made me the written-in-Swift Mac app I genuinely need: a simple financial transaction register that imports downloaded bank CSV files, lets me edit the transactions (e.g., split the amount among various categories), add tags and notes, and then export the edited transactions to custom reports (also in CSV format). The available consumer financial management apps (e.g., Quicken, Banktivity, etc.) have things I don’t need—graphs, budgeting, automatic downloads, iOS companion apps, etc—and lacked the things I do need, e.g., bulk editing multiple fields in multiple transactions, creating purpose-specific reports, and exporting all of the transaction data in one go.

It took a little over an hour to build a basic starter version and add some tweaks and refinements. I’m sure I’ll go back to Claude for more tweaks, but the app is perfectly usable as is.

I also built an app along the same lines using the Glaze app, which was recently released by the team behind Raycast. It’s good! If you have a hankering to vibe-code a Mac desktop app, but don’t want to use Claude Code or ChatGPT Codex to do so, I think it’s a more-than-viable alternative. (Glaze It took a few more turns and feints than Claude, but not many more and I got it done without burning up all the credits that come with the free trial.)

From the Glaze FAQs:

How is Glaze different from Lovable, Replit, or v0?

Those tools build for the browser. Glaze builds for your desktop. That means your apps can access your file system, keyboard shortcuts, menu bar integration, background processes, and deeper integration with your OS. Your data stays on your machine, not on someone else’s server. It’s a different category entirely.

4 Likes

vibecoded my own little task manager. In part, because I could, in part to avoid subscriptions and features I don’t need. I really like it! Opens in browser. Desktop+mobile, runs on my Mac Mini. Remote access on my Android phone via Tailscale. One Python file (843 lines of code), one .json file for stored data, one plist of 23 lines to keep it running.

Thanks to:

  • Deepseek V4 Flash
  • Prompt from Google Search/Gemini (my search was “prompt for deepseek to create a simple project/task manager”)

Next step: similar apps for tracking workouts, sleep and calories.

Update: I have now added a sleep tracker and a calorie tracker that also tracks my weight.

Next step, trying to replace my spreadsheet for tracking workouts…