Vice.com article: Is Micromanaging Your Life With an App Really a Good Idea?

I I’ll add an Omifocus reminder to look into that.

[rimshot]

Seriously, I don’t let an app micromanage my life. I just got a lot to do, much of it fiddly, and need help keeping track of it all.

7 Likes

Currently reading Dave Eggers’s The Every, and it hits on many of these themes.

I’m not all the way through yet, but I highly recommend it and the prequel (The Circle).

3 Likes

I love my apps, I did drop Omnifocus. I used it as a kind of outliner and note taker, it got a bit pricey when I found DEVONthink 3 and Ulysses. Still waiting for new NValt or whatever it is called…
However there is not one app I really use ‘as recommended’, maybe the native Calendar. Otherwise they all seem to have idiosyncratic use in my hands. I am fine with it. That was funny too.

2 Likes

I’m wouldn’t describe the use of these apps as Micro-Managing. In the end, I wouldn’t be where I am professionally without OmniFocus. It helps me ensure that my brain can focus on doing, rather than remembering.

As always, each to their own.

What a bad article.

TL;DR: These apps work for some but not for all. YMMV.

A series of anecdotes of people finding value in these apps, followed by some hand waving that there are people who don’t use them effectively, followed by a guess about market penetration, with a conclusion that we shouldn’t use them.

Huh?

There is an article to be written on this topic, along the lines of “are you the type of person who can benefit from a ‘to do’ app?”

But I guess that would have taken real research. And perhaps planning.

1 Like

One key learning from David Allen’s GTD book that I will never forget is, When you write something down, it frees up the brain.

It has always worked for me.

1 Like

I think “just write it down” (or doodle) and it’s ok. Don’t think too much about building up a system and even which is future proof. So even if it’s a paper notebook or Apple Notes/plain text, it is usually enough.