Video Editor for Mac? (iMovie doesn't work for all formats)

Hi MPUers, is there a good video editor for the mac that can import videos of all formats?

iMovie does not support most formats like avi, mkv, mp4. I guess the video codec of these video files are not supported by iMovie.

Looking for recommendations. Free software :slight_smile:

OpenShot is a free and open-source video editor. The design isn’t anything fancy compared to paid apps like Final Cut or Premiere but it’s surprisingly powerful and gets the job done.

From its Features page:

Based on the powerful FFmpeg library, OpenShot can read and write most video and image formats. For a full list of supported formats, see the FFmpeg project. OpenShot’s export dialog defaults to some of the more common formats, but with the advanced tab, you can use any FFmpeg format.

1 Like

I know you said free, but if free doesn’t work out, I’ve had good luck with Permute.

You might give VLC a try too (free). It does conversions, but the workflow is strange.

1 Like

I think davinci resolve is free?

Shotcut: usable on less-powerful machine, free, open source.
DaVinci Resolve: needs more powerful machine, mostly free, not open source, but better UI imo and more features.

Would recommend either depending on the computing power at your disposal. Wasn’t sure if you meant free as in beer or free as in freedom.