Virtual Windows M1 Mac

Is there any other software beside Parallel to run windows on a M1 Mac?

There’s a fork of QEMU called UTM that this person used to get ARM Windows up and running.
I use QEMU/KVM on Ubuntu to run a TrueNAS VM, and it’s solid.
The procedure below seems like death by a thousand cuts, but if you have the time :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

FWIW, I recently upgraded Parallels for $49 and got the Insider Preview of Windows 11. It was much more straightforward than I thought it would be, probably because I waited until now.

1 Like

VMWare Fusion is in public tech preview for free right now: Announcement: VMware Fusion for Apple silicon Public Tech Preview Now Available - VMware Fusion Blog

I’m kind of mad at VMware Fusion (Player Version 12.2.0 (18760249)) at the moment, as it crashes my iMac Pro if I leave a VM running and walk away for a few hours. This started after upgrading to Monterey.
When I power back up, there is “no panic data” in the Report dialog.

Thank you. Yeah is looks painful. If I get some time I will try it … but based on what I can see Parallel are the best on this… maybe is worth the expense.

1 Like

I am experimenting with Crossover to run Intel/WIndows-applications on my M1. Works…kind of… I prefer Parallels.

1 Like

I watched from afar since the M1s were released last year. It looked painful. When I got mine last week, I did more research and decided $49 one time fee (not subscription) was easily worth my time, now that it looked like smooth process. I was apprehensive about getting the insider preview installed, but it was a piece of cake in the end.