Vision Pro Apps

OmniGroup has announced they’re bringing OmniPlan to Vision Pro. I think it’s a very interesting choice. While I don’t currently have any need for OmniPlan, I have used it in the past. It’s definitely an app that could benefit from having a huge canvas to work on.

2 Likes

That’s a nicely identified use case. Ken and I are both aerospace kids; no wonder I like him. This’ll fit both heavy and light use of VR (pick it up, manipulate the huge timeline, put it down.)

I’d like to see something new with the z-index: conflicts pushed out slightly towards you, maybe. Or duplicating and bringing forward a ghosted copy of the project to try changes you’re not sure about.

I assume they’ll do OmniGraffle next. In VR it should be easier to keep a bunch of options/palettes on a side board or work between multiple large docs.

OF and OO are probably good to go as is.

2 Likes

Huh. I never really thought about 3D diagramming. I make my diagrams complex enough as it is… this is probably not going to be good for me. :upside_down_face:

I’ve heard that Clay (a relationship management tool) and Mindnode (mind mapping) are both building for spatial. Not sure how well those use-cases will take advantage of the new medium though.

2 Likes

I’m with you. This whole things feels a bit like a solution looking for a problem.

That said, perhaps VP is akin to the Apple Watch. It took several years for the use case to become apparent, primarily as a health tracking and monitoring device with other functions following. It may take several years for the practical use case for the VP to become apparent.

1 Like

But I think the most mass marketable use cases are already there: video games and media consumption (specially adult content, which has proven to be a market force to be reckoned with). It’s just that the previous generation of devices didn’t live up to the expectations for whatever reason. It remains to be seen if the VP is better or not.

As this thread states, the MPU demographic is expecting something else and that’s where the practical use cases need to surface and that needs to break the “window” paradigm that has been with us for decades. For example, having a huge spatial window with sheet music in front of me would be great while learning a musical piece, but having the notes of the staff float as I play them while the keys on the real keyboard are highlighted would be the deal breaker.

But before we reach that, there’s a lot of video games and movies that need to be successful on the platform, otherwise there is no critical mass.

Perhaps it is just me, but I can’t see myself sitting in my office or at home with a giant goggle on my head to do my work or watch a movie. I’m not into games or euphemistically called “adult content,” so I’m not that target market. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Neither am I, and to be honest, not even the “spatial windows” paradigm is interesting to me, just give me a big honking computer screen. But if Apple is going to crack the VR/AR market, games, movies and spatial computing will come first. Hence, I’m skipping the Vision Pros :wink:

1 Like

I’m hoping that the Vision Pro will find a place in helping to reduce post-operative pain, stress management, for those undergoing chemotherapy, and the like.

2 Likes

This is a serious question: “Can large screen HD TV’s serve as a ‘big honking computer screen’?” I’ve never tried it, but is there a way for this to work? In some contexts, this would be great. I could have the TV on the wall behind my credenza and use the screen for TV and computing.

That is an interesting thought. I can see how it could reduce stress, but how could such a device reduce pain?

If you mean technically… yes, even my old G4 Mac mini could drive a TV via DVI. Newer Macs don’t sweat with HDMI at all. Modern TVs and monitors are basically the same thing, I’d say.

Practicality is another thing though, because at longer viewing distances the glorious 4k resolution cannot be easily resolved by the eye so distance and display resolution are inversely related. And having a 52’’ TV as a desktop monitor, while feasible, will make you turn your head uncomfortably I think.

By the way, I had to google what a credenza is!

1 Like

I’m a bit old school, I suppose! No snide comments allowed. :joy:

I haven’t used Clay, but Mindnode seems like it will be excellent in VR. I think the most effective uses of diagramming and relating won’t be total immersive 3D that surrounds us. We’re still limited by our field of view and occlusion and our arms (as long as we control VR that way.) Look at how we arrange our desks into natural groupings of items with the less-reached-for or decorative ones positioned further from us in a few concentric layers.

2 Likes

I was thinking in terms using the VP for guided imagery/visualization techniques, which may be beneficial in reducing stress, which in turn, may reduce pain (as they are related).

This is from a good review article: “Stress modulates pain perception, resulting in either stress-induced analgesia or stress-induced hyperalgesia, as reported in both animal and human studies. The responses to stress include neural, endocrine, and behavioural changes, and built-in coping strategies are in place to address stressors.” Of note, the authors note that stress may play a role in increasing or decreasing pain. Pain in Times of Stress - PMC.

This is from a recent paper on chronic pain: “In patients with chronic pain, stress is generally associated with a worsening of pain symptoms and stress-induced hyperalgesia. In fact, stress and pain are highly comorbid, and show significant overlap in both conceptual and biological processes” - The Biology of Stress Intolerance in Patients with Chronic Pain—State of the Art and Future Directions - PMC.

4 Likes

I love classical music so I’d love to see a 3D concert of the Vienna Philharmonic at Carnegie Hall. Will those kinds of experiences be on offer? Probably not, although Apple did build a Classical music app, so let’s hope they include something like that.

2 Likes

Speaking of spatial, do you think Apple will develop something like this?

Apple avoids using wired gloves with its user interface but I think I would still love the huge glass interface and grand hand and arm gestures suggestive of an orchestral impresario as seen in the film, Minority Report.

Wired Glove Interface Display by Steven Spielberg from Minority Report (Movie)

1 Like

It would probably start with pop music concerts and then expand into classical.

1 Like

Ido whether that would improve productivity but it sure would be fun! (At least at first. Might lead to some weird RSI over time…)

I’m not a gamer, but I can see it being incorporated into a game where you play the role of a galactic overlord who controls the destiny of millions with a wave of an arm and a flick of the hand.

1 Like

Someone must have perfected that by now because the Xbox had a primitive version of it 10 years ago.

1 Like