Voice to Text Dictation with Voice Control is Pretty Great

I like the new feature so much I made a blog post and a video.

7 Likes

That’s pretty cool. It would be awesome if it was smart enough to determine where the correct punctuation goes without saying it. Also determining if you have a run-on sentence, etc.

All in all, a very cool feature. Thanks for sharing

1 Like

Good news, thank you. Progressive nerve damage in both arms is making typing increasingly difficult, so this will be a timely and very useful new feature for me.

1 Like

Fantastic and can’t wait to give it a try as I’ve been relegated to using DNS on a Windows machine for work!

Just like Dragon, it’s very literal. I actually dictated a run-on sentence in that video and Voice Control just … well… ran along.

4 Likes

I am so looking forward to Catalina und to iOS13!

To me, all those improvements and features really show off the future: eventually, we will interact wird screenless devices. I do not see myself having screenless devices only, but there is room for screenless devices. And with Apple “learning” and integrating real dictation more and more, they lay the groundwork for this future.

2019 feels a lot more innovative in comparison to previous years. If only they will manage make their betas stable, so that we will have a fantastic system ready for release in the fall! :slight_smile:

Regardless, very cool. Have you tried it with headphones on? I assume it works the exact same way, but you never know! :grin:

I’ve been making more use of dictation on the iPhone over the years. I’m looking forward to doing it on the Mac.

@MacSparky are you using Catalina on a daily driver?

I am so pleased to see this! And must agree, speaks to Nuance’s actions of late - but still feel they could’ve handled the whole situation a while lot better!

Hopefully, @MacSparky will be kind enough to also make a quick macOS video, when he feels most of the major bugs have been removed.

I think Nuance handled it fairly well (at least not atrociously badly), and they had no additional responsibilities, especially considering their financial situation. Nuance revenues have been flat for at least five years, with an average Net Loss of $150 million/year since at least 2014. In 2018 they had turnover of seven new individuals installed to the Board of Directors, which is unusual, and they appointed a new Chairman of the Board, and they hired a new CEO (the former COO of NCR Corp) to replace the retiring CEO who’d shepherded Nuance since 2000.

Their annual report last November made clear that they’ve decided focus on “opportunities that leverage our core strengths in key vertical markets” - markets where Nuance makes most of its money, with higher margins: healthcare transcription, automative, telecom (customer service voicemail trees), imaging… all enterprise clients. The consumer space was apparently never profitable to support, especially with the competitive tsunami of Google/Apple/Amazon/Microsoft coming on to swamp all the IOTs and voice recognition (and understanding that the competition was only going to increase).

1 Like

No. The Catalina beta install on a spare laptop when very FUBAR. Reinstalling it today. Definitely keeping it off the production machine.

1 Like

Yes, I had a chance to watch the actual video just now. Very nice!

I have two friends who are, like me, professional journalists whose livelihood depends on being able to crank out hundreds or thousands of words a day. They swear by Dragon Naturally Speaking and claim it is essential to their productivity. Neither of them have RSI issues; they’re both fast typists. They just prefer dictation.

I tried Dragon in December 2013 and just couldn’t make it work for me. But it’s been more than five years and I’ll give it another try with Catalina.

Also: Like the shirt. Does it have velcro on the pockets? I have a shirt like that which I like a lot, except it has velcro on the pockets, which I hate.

Your office is scary-neat. Mine looks like a shelter for wayward Amazon boxes.

1 Like

I’m really pleased / excited by these developments, I have a step brother who’s quadriplegic, I remember the days when, to use a computer he had to hold a stick in his mouth and peck away at the keyboard. Technology like this is going to make a huge difference to people in similar positions.
I remember watching the keynote and just thinking: “Wow, this could be life changing”.

4 Likes

Does anyone know if this new system will transcribe recordings to text?

Doesn’t look like it. At least I don’t see any such interface on Mac or iOS.

2 Likes

Love this post.
I am intrigued and am hoping that you will produce more on this topic. The topic sounds significant but in order for me to make mental changes to my work flow, I need small little shifts that grow into something bigger. Use cases. Examples. I’m a big fan that I can simply say “Go home” or “Swipe left”… But, not being a Dragon Naturally Speaking user, I could use rock solid examples related to dictation and navigation. Just putting that out there.

Hi everyone, Is anyone having issues with Text Dictation in catalina - new line and new paragraph? I have tried in notes, text edit drafts etc … and it just doesn’t work. other command words do work like full-stop, comma etc…

Is anyone else finding the ALL CAPS ON/OFF function when using voice #dictation on #iOS are not working?

Or is it just me?