Volume Control with Apple TV remote

Did anyone else’s Apple TV remote stop adjusting the volume on their TV? This is a problem with both my Apple TVs. Thuley we’re both connected to LG soundbars and TVs with no problems. Now all of a sudden the Apple TV remote won’t control the volume.

I do not have my AppleTV set up to control the volume of the TV, however I have noticed that the volume level of my AppleTV is much lower than that of the cable box or the built in apps on the TV. Is there a way to change the volume of the AppleTV itself?

I have my main TV set up from the Apple TV to the TVs ARC input but have Optical out going to the soundbar.

On my Basement TV it’s HDMI from the Apple TV to soundbar and then HDMI from the soundbar to the TV.

Both worked perfectly for me until about 3 or 4 days ago.

Maybe there was an LG update to the TVs that broke everything since both stopped working around the same time.

My AppleTV’s remote controls the volume of my Samsung TV’s without any problems.
Also HDMI.
I had a similar problem a couple of years before, for a unknown reason. At that time I figured out, that the setting (can’t remember if a setting of the ATV, or the Samsung!?) had changed for some reason. After switching that setting back, it worked fine again. At that time I was also not able to switch the TV on and off, with the ATV remote.

Maybe this information will help with the search for the failure.

I just went through this very problem! Not sure why (or if it was just a coincidence), but updating the Apple TV Fixed it for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, it happened to me a couple of months ago. I tried everything to get it working again to no avail. I broke down a new remote for the TV and now just use that for controlling the volume, which is sad.

Maybe you can try it with the remote function of the iOS/iPadOS, to see if it is a mechanical problem with the ATV Remote.

Same problem. All was well, with the Apple TV remote changing my sound bar volume for many many months … then, suddenly, it stopped working.

I couldn’t get it working again.

I “fixed it” obliquely, by changing the remote settings so that it changed the TV volume, which changed the sound bar problem.

For quite some time now, certainly since I got the Apple TV 4K, the Apple TV remote instructs the TV to change the volume and the TV instructs my receiver (which only exists to route audio to my 5.1 speakers) flawlessly. In fact, these days I rarely touch the receiver remote as it’s only needed when the receiver “times out” if the whole setup is left on too long without any action.

I’m fairly sure than with any setup I have ever had where it worked, it worked consistently. I think this means I’m a unicorn for whatever that standard is that I cannot remember the name of right now.