VPN software advice

It auto connects for me.

1 Like

Interesting! I didnā€™t even know that about the current state of virus software. I know with Macs it is rarely useful and on iPads even less so. I bought into a years contract when I was half asleep. (My IQ plummets when I wake up). I didnā€™t even know it included VPN. There was one app in the App Store I was using but I couldnā€™t watch Disney + with it on. And besides that it kept shutting off. A royal pain! So when I found out McAfee included VPN, I thought terrific and it has actually come out far more inexpensive. No problems. They have tech support 24 hours! (Lil perk.)

There was a time when McAfee was the only commercial AV software available. And, as I recall, it was only available as a download which was rare in those days.

Thatā€™s the truth. I had to rebuild Windows servers more than once because Symantec AV screwed them up and could not be removed.

Sadly, software canā€™t protect personal PC and Mac users from many of the greatest threats we face today.

That guy was very respected decades ago. What did he smoke?

@Lars if you watch the video you can see that yes when he brought it out it was a good product but then he sold the company and alleges that the new company proceeded to take the software downhill.

It wasnā€™t what he smoked but probably all the coke that turned him into a paranoid madman.

This may muddy the water more than help, but I always go back to this site when Iā€™m in the market for a new VPN. Itā€™s so encyclopedic that it can be difficult to navigate, but I havenā€™t seen a more thorough treatment of the subject anywhere else on the web:

That One Privacy Site

It may not help you make your own decision because there are so many factors you didnā€™t even know you might care about, but it might help a bit with the process of elimination.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the best reference Iā€™ve found. That table has way more data than anyone will need, but it really helps you see who is doing what.

1 Like

I use ProtonVPN. Very happy!

Iā€™ve been happy with IVPN for 3 years now. The mobile app is really well made. You set a default action to either use the VPN or not for all new networks, and then you can manually specify for each network whether it is ā€œTrustedā€ or ā€œUntrustedā€.

For untrusted networks, the VPN automatically connects when your phone does, and when you connect back to a trusted network, the VPN disconnects. This also applies to cellular connection.

It seems comprehensive but I donā€™t trust their results. Best VPNs according to that website actually suck. Where are the actual test results like speed or data leaks? How do the apps work?

And the Antivirus reviews are even worse ā€¦

Oh boy is that ever an accurate assessment! I read a short book or long magazine article about him. He was ricocheting off the walls like those awesomey pinball machines!!!