Watch OS 9: No permanent workout screen?

I have an issue with WatchOS 9 that is driving me nuts… When starting a walking workout, it used to just keep showing the workout screen – which is very handy as it enables me to see my progress. However, ever since I’ve upgraded to WatchOS 9, the watch closes the Workout app and shows me the watch face again after a couple of minutes. The workout is still running in the background (good!), yet I always have to return to the app to see what is going on.

Is there something I miss? Is this a bug? I don’t get it but I hate it. :sweat_smile:

I’m running WatchOS 9 and I haven’t noticed the behavior you’re describing.

I’m guessing (based on my OS 8 settings), but try this:

In the Watch app on your phone, go to General > Return to Clock and scroll down to the entry for the Workout app.

Turn on “Return to App” under When In Session.

I think that’s the setting you need. I know this has happened to me before. I believe this is how I solved it.

2 Likes

Thank you. However, the option was already turned in. Luckily, there is also an option for when to return to the clock face. Set it from 2 minutes to 1 hour (which are the only two options which is strange in and of itself…). Let’s see. In conclusio, probably a bug.

I too am still seeing the previous behaviour on walking workouts after the upgrade.

Sounds like it. I upgraded to 9 last night, but the workout app behaved as normal for me this morning.

I wasn’t thrilled with the smaller font size, but I’ll get over it.

I think this is a bug. I haven’t encountered it either.

I will say I really miss the previous Now playing behaviour from watchOS 8. Made it much easier to control audio after a workout ended.

1 Like

@times_reader what Watch do you have? Wondering if you’re using an older Watch which is causing a different to the rest of us who haven’t seen this issue.

Series 5, so not too old. Will report back if the setting I’ve changed has any effect.

Mine’s a 5 too. So that shouldn’t be the issue.

Series 5 here also (until tomorrow anyway :wink:).

2 Likes