WatchOS 7 first impressions

Same boat as I am on Series 3. Deleted all my 3rd party apps and made sure no podcast or music is store on my Watch and still don’t have enough space.

So much hassle to restore and install again. This is really bad experience.

Hmm, I’ve never had that happen on 13 or 14.

Now, turning on Sound Recognition, which we were guessing might be the icon earlier, does disable Hey Siri but I’ve never heard Announce would.

Separate WatchOS 14 topic: definitely noticing decreased battery life as reported during the betas. After 13 hrs (including a 1 hr run), I’m at 20% where on similar days on 13, I’d end the day with more than 40%.

I’m OK with that for increased complication update frequency but it might cut it close on those realllly long days…

I updated a couple of days ago and am currently seeing very poor batter life on my watch (Series 4, cellular, 40mm).

Before updating two days ago it would last a full 16 hour day and typically have around 30% battery remaining.

Since updating it runs flat in under 12 hours and that’s without hand washing alerts enabled, which reportedly are a source of battery drain.

Looking at the Apple forums it seems that many are having a similar experience. Hoping it will settle down or there will be bug fix release soon. In the meantime if anyone has found any mitigations that don’t require crippling the watch’s functionality then please do share.

My watch is a 44mm series 4 with 4G and so far the battery life does not seem to have been affected by upgrading to watchOS 7 (and now hoping that writing this is not tempting fate). I took my watch off charge yesterday (Friday) around 07:00 and it was fully charged. I fell asleep with my watch on and only took it of to charge it at 12:30 today (Saturday) and it had 19% left in the battery.

Reddit suggests that it’s the “announce messages” feature.
I have yet to get the icon to change when I put my AirPods in but… that could be due to settings.

From my experiment, the AirPods will typically pair to your iPhone first. Switch (pair) them to the Watch and the button in Control Center should enable. You can pair them to the Watch from CC via the AirPlay button.

On battery drain, here are my specs: updated to 14 on day 1, Series 5 cellular (but I don’t have a data plan enabled for it).