Weekly reviews in task managers that are *not* Omnifocus

That looks like a really interesting and beneficial Todoist template!

It’s interesting to me how many of you review everything all at once every week. I find that difficult, just because of the time involved. According to the OF4 beta on iOS, I have 24 projects and about 780 tasks — and I really don’t have anything in here that’s overly extraneous; I’m just busy. Reviewing that all at once seems… overwhelming. But perhaps I’m foolish for trying to avoid it.

That’s what I do in Things, when I have time. I have other backstops in place for important tasks at work, so things don’t fall through the cracks, so I’ve gotten much less rigid over the years with a formal weekly review and just get right into doing the work.

As far as knowing what work to do, I guess you could say my “review” is more of a broader-view block scheduling. Instead of scheduling tasks for hours of the day, I try to go through Things before the week starts, and assign tasks to certain days, using Start dates. Normally, when I perform a task in a project (I’m a lawyer, so a project is usually a client’s case), that will trigger something I know I need to do at some point in the future, so I create a new task for a future date. I usually end up setting many of those for future Mondays, so my review involves spreading those out over the week, and punting some to future weeks.

2 Likes

I used to go through everything every 2 weeks in Things.

Since 2020, that has moved to every 6 months… Likely every 12 months going forward.

I found that reviewing regularly did not help me. Most tasks have a date on it anyway.

I do browse through what’s on the list in the upcoming week and make adjustments accordingly

The exemption is if a project is demanding etc, that I would review more regularly.

Obviously, everyone is different.

The reason I do not use OF is because it is one needy attention seeking software… review this, set perspectives, look at the forecast etc etc. it’s a powerful tool for the right person which I realised after two years of using OF2 that I am not the target audience.

2 Likes

Waaaaay off topic but, @MereCivilian how do I subscribe to your blog. I find it an interesting read, so would love to follow along. The RSS feed doesn’t seem to be working.

For me, the weekly review is more than just a nice thing to add to my system if I have the time to do it. Instead, I see it the other way around: The whole point of having a system is so that I can do a weekly review.

I don’t think it even matters what methodology or tools I’m using. If I’m not regularly reviewing projects and tasks and revisiting my current goals and commitments, the decisions I make about taking on future commitments are likely to be based on something resembling fiction.

My review process is an adaptation of an example process I got from David Allen’s website years ago. Mine looks a lot like @KevinC’s, though I keep my review list in a TaskPaper document. (I use OmniFocus as the home for my GTD system.)

When I am diligent enough to do a review every week, I can usually finish the whole thing in about an hour. If I skip a week (or five), the next review takes much longer.

5 Likes

See, that’s why OF is great for me. I have projects that I set to review every 6-12 months, if that’s all they need. I also have a longer default review interval than two weeks. I know when I’m opening reviews that I’m only going to see a few projects, and that they actually need to be looked it this day/week. Often there’s nothing to review (sidebar badge isn’t filled in.) I like software that is powerful enough to require less of my time.

1 Like

Bill: to follow a blog install netnewswire into your system, get theURL from MereCivilian and add it to your list of blogs, it took me five seconds to do and 15 recent blogs appeared instantky.

1 Like

Appreciate the kind words…. Especially coming from a fellow Australian :+1:

RSS link:
https://merecivilian.com/rss/

Pasting the above link in any RSS reader should work

2 Likes

Love this. Very GTD!

Also I just heard Federico & John discussing some new IOS 16 features in Apple Reminders - sounds good

https://appstories.net/episodes/279

I review everything in my current Omnifocus system weekly. Currently at 172 active projects and 67 available tasks. A lot of my projects have start dates that haven’ arrived yet.

What I do not review every week are much if any of the 57 different someday/maybe lists. I can’t do anything on them until I’ve cleared out space so I just wait and only review those for sure once a quarter.

Wait! What? Where are you? How did I not know this? :grinning:

See? This is why In come here!

Thank you! :pray:

This post suggests that Noteplan has a review feature.

1 Like

It does, although after spending a month with Noteplan, I’m not 100% convinced it’s suitable as a task manager for most. (It really fails on repeating tasks.) and it’s review feature is pretty light — more like a “click here to see your tasks” button.

1 Like

Just created in iPad OS 16 a Smart List which has every note with a checklist with incomplete items & which is shared with my wife - just need to review that once a week & I’ll be set….

I know this questions is off-topic, so please pardon the digression.

@Bmosbacker, I’m curious to learn more about how you’ve configured Reminders to replace OmniFocus. Specifically, what do you use to quickly capture tasks—I use OF’s quick capture frequently. I’d also love to learn more about how you’ve setup your tagging system.

Have you documented your setup anywhere? If not, I, for one, would love to learn more about how you’re making Reminders work for you given your many responsibilities and ongoing projects.

Certainly, let me give some thought as the best way to describe this. I’m tied up today but I’ll try to get a decent response back to you within a few days. I have it in Reminders. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Nice. Now I feel special. Thanks in advance for taking the time to post your Reminders setup.

1 Like

@jacobio as promised, below are a few examples of how I have Reminders setup. When iOS 16 releases the new Reminders features will make this even better.

As noted above, I divide my life into three areas in Reminders: Strategic Priorities (these can be professional and personal), Work, and Personal.

As to quick entry–I miss this feature in OF and Things but I replicated it with a shortcut:

I’ve created a few tags in Reminders. I try to keep the number small. Most of them are related to my SLT members. So, if I’ve assigned a task to someone or I need to be sure to include something in my 1:1 meeting with my SLT members, I add their name tag to the items/task. When I meet with them, I select their name tag and go through the list. Another tag I use is “Waiting”, which I check daily. Notice that most of them have a link to a corresponding email.

I created a “Week” Smart List so I can see things that are due for the upcoming week.

I also have my Apple Notes folders and my Reminders lists correspond as needed so that both project notes and tasks align for easy access and consistency.

I also use tags to keep an updated list of items I want to include in my bi-monthly report to my board. This approach can work for a lot of scenarios.

I hope this is of some help. Let me know if you have any questions.

7 Likes