Weekly reviews in task managers that are *not* Omnifocus

This is cool, you’re tempting me to use Reminders!

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

What I love about this is how simple it all it is, yet how GTD it is. It takes the basic principles and just applies it to the simplest software. I dig it.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your Reminders setup, @Bmosbacker! The shortcut you created is quite innovative. I think the only thing I’ll miss from OmniFocus is my frequent use of “defer dates” to populate my “Today” perspective. That said, I might try using Reminders for one of my focus areas and see how it goes.

Thanks again for giving us a peek into your setup!

1 Like

GoodTask has a start date feature; recall that it is an overlay on top of Reminders.

Subscribed - another Aussie here!

1 Like

I am very private person (as is in my nature but also my job requires it as well) hence the use of the MereCivilian alias.

I live in a state that proudly is the home of the Great Ocean Road

@Danny_Pettiona thank you… hope you find your stay at my blog enjoyable

2 Likes

Cheers, didn’t want to invade your privacy so thanks for the hint. #GoBlues! :wink:

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this, especially your shortcut.

My main reason for persisting with Todoist for work tasks is the Zapier integration, which automatically adds tasks to my Todoist Inbox when I flag them in Slack and Trello. With a combination of your shortcut and Popclip I think I can possibly recreate this for Reminders, so I’m testing it this week!

2 Likes

I use Remember The Milk and have a weekly repeating task in it, based on this blog post:

Each of the bullets in that post is a subtask of this weekly task (and each of those subtasks has its own set of subtasks, where needed).

1 Like

I’ve been keeping an eye on this as I’m sceptical whether I wish to move to OmniFocus 4, especially if at any point Omni decides that Subscription is the only option (which they’ve not hinted about) I can’t justify £120 a year as I use Omnifocus primarily on iPad and occasionally on iphone.

Review is THE killer feature of GTD, and Omni have nailed it.

For all of the options proposed, I’ve seen nothing which comes even close to the brilliance of OmniFocus’ review feature. Especially when you have many, many projects on the go, the ability to set whatever review date you want so that you don’t have to review all of your projects every week is priceless.

Audits for me are a 3 month process, at first their reviews are fortnightly, then weekly, then daily, then weekly again. I can adjust as necessary.

1 Like

IMHO, these are legitimate fears given the recent trend towards subscriptions. But then I would delay any final decision until OF4 is released and a definitive pricing model is published. Plus, you could stay on OF3 until support ends (how long was OF2 operational after OF3 was released?)

True that. I wonder why no other task manager has attempted to approach this? (honorable mention to Amazing Marvin here, it has something that while is functional does not feel as well rounded as OF). Maybe most people just like to setup a weekly review session and then review all projects one by one independent of the last review session.

1 Like

OmniFocus’s optional subscription option is $5/mo if you don’t need OF for Web. (You can also subscribe to OF for Web alone for $5/mo with a paid license.)

1 Like

I also agree, Review is one of the best features of OF. I wish other task managers would adopt it but I suspect it is a niche feature–one that few people use, or would use, making it hard for other developers to justify the time and expense to implement.

1 Like

I didn’t know that @cornchip. Thank you.

Of course, that’s $60 a year v £20 upgrade fee every 3 or 4 years (I don’t use OF on the Mac). A significant jump, but one which is worth it.

1 Like

Interesting! I hope they keep the ability to buy for Mac and iOS separately, in addition to the login-based combined upgrade fee they’re doing for Mac+iOS.

1 Like

Agreed. I keep the steps and instructions for my weekly review in Taskpaper, but at the heart of that review each week is moving through every project and every someday/maybe item using OmniFocus in review mode.

You’re not wrong on this; OF’s review feature is amazing. But I thought the workflows suggested by folks here were fantastic, and very helpful in aiding me in considering other options. Which is great, because I too am unsure about OF4’s direction.

I thought the posts from @KevinC were particularly helpful, and very useful for me because they revealed holes in OF’s review process.

A weekly review is different from the review feature in OF though. You can use the review feature any way and include it in a Weekly Review process.

I have a checklist for Friday afternoon I use to conduct my weekly review, the OF review function allows me to keep that weekly review to approx an hour, including planning out the following week.

I wasn’t fussing anyone else’s methods but It’s OF’s review feature that’s above the capabilities I’ve seen in anyone else’s products.

Yes, I would recommend reading GTD or looking at the GTD organization’s updated resources; Kevin’s (very well organized!) process largely comes from there. Reviewing work in progress (data in a task manager) is just one part.