Weekly reviews in task managers that are *not* Omnifocus

Is Australia that island off the coast of New Zealand? :wink:

I cannot confirm nor deny … from my perspective, it’s best to keep the exact location of Australia unknown

Having said that, New Zealand has the best rugby team on this planet … it pains me to say that :joy:

2 Likes

That is an interesting point of view, as the Review is the essential heart of GTD, and GTD would probably not really work, if you don’t take the time to keep your system up to date, and to be confident, that your system is up to date!

1 Like

Absolutely! As I’ve noted several times in other threads, I calendar my weekly review for Friday morning of each week. The point I’m making above is that this is not the norm for most people. Most people do not do a weekly review and therefore, adding such a feature to a mass market todo list like Reminders probably would not make a lot of sense to Apple. I wish they would add it but I’m not holding my breath. :slightly_smiling_face:

FYI, NotePlan offers its own version of Review in its sidebar and has just added a Weekly view, as well. (OmniFocus probably shouldn’t feel threatened, but still. :slightly_smiling_face:)

Now stop it already! :joy: I’m doing my best to resist the temptation to give NotePlan another spin!

1 Like

To create reviews for both my private and work projects in Things3, I wrote a Python script (that makes use of the things.py library).

Here you can find it, including usage instruction:

Happy to help!

2 Likes

Maybe I’m an idiot, but I couldn’t make this work for me. If I typed in python review.py areaName, I got an error about not using a tag name. If I typed in python review.py tagName, I got an error about not using an area name.

Edit: What if I want to do this without using tags?

How does your config file look like?
I created an issue in Github and will try to reproduce based on the context I have.

Thanks! I just posted over there. It’s possible I just didn’t understand the instructions. I’m just curious what the end result looks like.

Thanks for popping this up to the top again.

Gives me a chance to expound on my new review system now that I’ve moved out of Omnifocus and into Obsidian for all task and project management.

I am using the Obsidian Plug-in Tasks to manage my tasks. I have templates for ordinary one off projects and recurring projects. My active project folder in Obsidian has a note for every project. If the project is big (AnimalTrakker programming for example) It may warrant its own folder with subfolders or more documents related to the project. In general though I get by with one note per project. All project notes have a tag in the YAML of either project/active, project/recurring, project/hold or project/archive. They also have a tag of the area of focus that each project relates to. If it relates to more than one AOF then there will be 2 tags in the YAML like AOF/Farm_Mgmt or AOF/Health_and_Fitness or AOF/Household_Mgmt

My tasks all have a tag for the context I can do them in. So tasks will have a tag like #Context/Internet or #Context/OutsideByMyself or #Context/AnimalTrakker

I have 3 dashboard type notes:

The first one _GTD_Dashboard has blocks for each context tag like this

Phone

not done  
(starts before tomorrow) 
tag includes Phone 
short mode

The second dashboard is _GTD_Project_List which has sections for each class of projects for my active, recurring and hold projects (the ones I need to review)

Current Projects

TABLE startdate as "Start Date" 
FROM #project/active
where endate = null 
SORT file.name ASC

My last dashboard note has active projects grouped by AOF

Health and Fitness

TABLE startdate as "Date" 
FROM  (#project/active OR #project/recurring) AND #AOF/Health_and_Fitness
where endate = null  
SORT file.name ASC

Personal Growth

TABLE startdate as "Date" 
FROM (#project/active OR #project/recurring) AND #AOF/Personal_Growth 
where endate = null 
SORT file.name ASC

My weekly review first consists of looking at my task or next action dashboard and documenting anything that got done that I hadn’t yet checked off.

Then I pull up the project dashboard and quickly pull up each project note and check its status. Do I need to add anything? Has anything changed? Is this still a project I need to do? Should it be moved to on-hold for this coming week? Is it done and do I need to file it as an archived project? I’m still working on hiding the projects that haven’t started yet, especially the ones that are recurring ones. Right now they show up in this list even if they cannot be started yet. It’s a matter of editing my dataview query to eliminate things that are not started but it’s working ok and I haven’t had time to play with the query to fine tune it.

Next I look at the projects by AOF to do a sanity check on keeping up with what I want to in all areas.

I’m still tuning so I don’t review things more often than needed but also so nothing falls through the cracks but I’m liking how it’s all coming together so far.

1 Like