Weird fonts in email

I am flummoxed!

Twice in the last week, I’ve had complaints from people that the fonts in my emails are very hard to read.

They look okay in spark (on Mac and on iPad), and when I’ve pasted them into a rich text editor they seem to be in symbol font, but when the others read them they look like some kind of barely decipherable handwritten script.

This has never happened before.

Both people who’ve complained use teams (and I guess outlook) but they’re in totally different businesses.

I can’t see the problem when they reply and I look in the history text.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Since how an email looks to the reader is dependant on their setup, I avoid wherever possible using formatting (fonts, tabs, and spacing) in email. I do not depend on formatting or special fonts to communicate. No matter how perfect I can make it, it will look different to the reader. Formatted email depends on their operating system, device, screen size, fonts installed, etc. If what I want to communicate depends on a structured/formatted email, I compose in a word processor (many to chose from!) and make a PDF to attach in an email.

Can set default in Apple Mail Preferences, Tab:Composing, or change Rich Text to Plain Text with Menu: format → Make Plain Text.

I presume your Spark mail has the same feature.

Thank you @rms !

It looks like spark no longer has a plain text option, but it does have a (clunky, non-obvious) way of changing the default font. So thanks for sending me in the right direction. Much appreciated.

I think I’ve discovered what the problem is. For some reason, my ipad and iPhone default fault had changed to San Francisco, which isn’t a font on windows machines. I switched it to Ariel, and I think that’s fixed it.