Welcome to the golden age of user hostility

This, from the person who runs biannual concurrent trials of task managers for six months at a time! :laughing: :wink:

2 Likes

Hey, the UK is the only major economy with a more ad-heavy economy than the US. We do spend more per capita though.

Ouch! But so true. Ok, I repent!! :joy: But just for the record, I’ve settled on Reminders and I’m not experimenting any more with my task manager. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I’m thinking you’ll be looking at the next new manager on the block in ….10, 9, 8, 7, 6……:wink: (just kidding, I say that about 12 times a year)

1 Like

I deserve whatever ribbing I get.:grin:

1 Like

Godspeed, gentlemen :saluting_face:

I have to agree. There is research on this if I remember. There was it seems a calculated ‘maximum’ on tv as to what viewers would bear, there is a limit our psychology seems to balk at. I have my doubts now though about it. It was amazingly high. Cable tv in the UK was sold originally as ‘ad free’. Good luck with that. I agree with all of the posts here endorsing your comments. All I get in the mail now are effectively asks for donations, subs and contributions.

1 Like

I have no doubt that is true. We all think ‘I am not affected by the ads’ and it is not true. I agree with @Denny too. Sorry about the politics but one has to ask, if the ‘market’ works so well in allocating goods, why all the hard sell?

1 Like

Modern PR dates clearly to Edward Bernays and as @karlnyhus suggest before that. His best-known campaigns include a 1929 effort to promote female smoking by branding cigarettes as feminist “Torches of Freedom”, advertizing techniques in general became part of the industry. Beranays lived, evil genius that he was to be 103. He was the nephew of Sigmund Freud. Spooky eh?
It is a thorny and very political issue though, you have a knack! Some argue that the most convincing advertizing was done by the Catholic Church… just sayin’. I am a Catholic so don’t take that as a dig.

1 Like

If that’s your question, you might appreciate this essay and this interview. But I will refrain from commenting on them here and politely ask others to do the same, so as to not derail the thread.

2 Likes

I see a lot of “I won’t ever buy an Internet-capable TV”. Why not? Just don’t plug it in to the Internet? I have an LG TV that isn’t connected to the Internet. Works just fine.

1 Like

Until it doesn’t. Like Netflix (and Disney) deciding to use being on the same network as your Smart TV as a way of defining your household (already happening) and terms and conditions requiring it (there are already a number of services that require you to show ads - including Kindle)

Interestingly, tracking-based advertising doesn’t seem to be that efficient anyway. Corporations are probably just building bigger haystacks.

See Jeremy Keith here or the always entertaining Bob Hoffman.

We should probably add that rumors are that Apple plans to add ads to Apple TV. If true, that is disappointing.

2 Likes

Yes, that is spooky! :ghost:

As to the Catholic church, some may be right about the advertising. I don’t know, but nearly every organization of any type “advertises.” I don’t object to advertising, it is a legitimate enterprise, which like all others, is subject to abuse. My beef is not advertising per se; it is the lying, manipulation, and sheer volume that is grating. Even good things in excess can be negative. :slightly_smiling_face:

As to digs, never worry about that. I’m hard to offend. Life is short; I don’t have time to waste on being offended. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I will too, fantastic essay that I was not familiar with, thank you so much for linking it, best thing this week, and from a techie nerdy website too! who knew!
However that is really a kind of backhanded comment on them and I agree with you. Let’s not derail. :wink::grinning: They are a good, polite and friendly crowd here and we manage our differences well.

Not just Apple TV+.

In 2022, Mark Gurman (Bloomberg) reported that Todd Teresi, Apple VP of Advertising Platforms, has talked up expanding the advertising business significantly.

"It’s generating about $4 billion in revenue annually, and he wants to increase that to the double digits. That means Apple needs to crank up its efforts.”

He went on to say "I believe that the iPhone maker will eventually expand search ads to Maps. It also will likely add them to digital storefronts like Apple Books and Apple Podcasts. And TV+ could generate more advertising with multiple tiers . . . "

I’m sure some people would welcome less expensive ad-supported versions of Apple TV+, etc. And perhaps other services, like AI?

I’m annoyed how in baseball games they’ve figured out how to monetize the actual commentary of the game, not just the ads in between innings. “And that walk is brought to you by Johnnie Walker. . .”

1 Like

I’m annoyed how in baseball games they’ve figured out how to monetize the actual commentary of the game

Amen to that! I am a big baseball fan and I watch a lot of baseball. It drives me nuts that right in the middle of commentary they insert ads in a split window. It’s getting ridiculous.

2 Likes

Except for Apple News, one could argue that Apple services have been a relatively safe haven from excessive advertising. Unfortunately, that may be changing.

1 Like