What antivirus software do you recommend?

Thanks, Mark!!! The VPN I bought is from McAfee. I didn’t pay too much attention but I’d get a notice periodically that no viruses were showing up. The person who initiated this post wanted to know about viruses. All I said was the VPN service seemed to be covering it.

I didn’t mean they were the same thing.

When it seemed like I hadn’t really totally understood, because I hadn’t paid too much attention when it scanned my devices, I went to McAfee and found out my VPN INCLUDED anti-virus software. So I sought to clarify what I had written.

I should have looked it up before answering but I was trying to be helpful.

With a Mac you really don’t need anti-virus software as viruses are rare. However, it may be worth it to some people because it can happen. So someone might want it for peace of mind.

VPN is different than antivirus software. They are two separate things.

VPN helps prevent other people from snooping on you. That is why I purchase MacAfee… ie to deter someone from snooping. I probably don’t need it but I do know people that have the capability to do it. So I buy the protection for peace of mind.

I can recommend McAfee. I had been getting VPN off of the App Store and it was nothing but problems.

McAfee has good tech support even though the people may have heavy accents, ;o)

I see you initiated the post! Thanks again!

1 Like

FWIW, this is true - but it doesn’t prevent the VPN from aggregating and selling your data themselves. :slight_smile:

No idea about McAfee, but there are definitely some VPNs that I’ve heard of doing that sort of thing. And any data any VPN logs is subject to subpoenas and such. So you’re more private, but depending on the VPN your mileage may vary.

1 Like

Just what sort of data do they sell?

I am going to find out about that because it is unreal and WAY out of line.

Thank YOU, Web!

This is the sort of thing I’m talking about:

And incidentally…the fact that McAfee is virus scanning indicates that they’re peeking into your data more than they would have to. Not saying that’s nefarious or anything, but it’s worth noting. More processes = more potential for logging.

2 Likes

McAfee was not on the list.

Do you think it is worth telling them I don’t want the virus scanning?

Someone did deliberately give me a virus once. The next day my laptop wouldn’t start and I never did get it started. :o(

So I rather like having the virus software on there but it is not something I was even looking into having. I can certainly live without it.

I cannot believe they can subject the info gained by a third party without your permission for subpoenas and such! They don’t miss a trick.

Emails are not considered private communication which is b*******!

Thanks again, Web!!!

If you’re using McAfee I don’t think it matters either way. And I don’t know that there are any problems with them. I’m just noting that this sort of thing happens, so it’s worth being aware of.

Some companies actively go out of their way to not log things. ExpressVPN comes to mind - Introducing ExpressVPN TrustedServer technology

Not saying you should switch - just giving you the map to the terrain, so to speak. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Gotcha! Duly noted, Web!

Frankly, I wouldn’t touch any of 'em with a 10 foot pole… or a 300 ft. UTP cable either :slight_smile:

Sometimes using a commercial VPN is necessary, for example when you travel to certain countries. If you find yourself in a situation like that you need to do some research and choose wisely.

"One of the clearest ways a VPN provider can prove it keeps no usage logs is to have its servers seized by authorities. That’s exactly what happened to ExpressVPN in 2017, when an investigation into the 2016 assassination of Russia’s ambassador to Turkey, Andrei Korlov, led Turkish authorities to seize one of ExpressVPN’s servers looking for logs of conversation allegedly related to the crime. Authorities came up empty-handed, which bolstered ExpressVPN’s no-logs reputation. "

2 Likes