What app should I use to draw detailed plans of my house?

I’m currently drawing a detailed floorplan of my house in Illustrator (been a former FreeHand user, Illustrator is the closest at hand even though I never liked it).

Then I realized it’s 2023, and there surely must be some better app for this today? Something that automatically shows measurements, placement of doors, etc etc.

I was an early adaptor of MagicPlan for iOS, but I have never been able to use it correctly. Probably because I rather work with my Mac than a tiny iPhone.

Therefore, the question is: What app should I use to create a detailed plan of my house?

I’m not sure what you should use, but I used Graphic.

I built things in layers and used its Javascript based automation to allow me to quickly choose which layers were visible (I ended up with around 60 layers I think in the top down view, separating out the lighting, electricity, walls, dimensions, etc).

2 Likes

We have used this

for our floor plan, and it was pretty easy in use, and had a great result.
Also often SketchUp is mentioned to be usable for that matter.

But for a single use, I think it is way to complicated to use this app.

1 Like

I also made a3D model in SketchUp, but I don’t think it’s a good option for a diagram with dimensions.
Great for visualisation though.

I used Sketchup when it came out, I remember it as awesome! :smiley:

OmniGraffle would likely do the job.

1 Like

I used Home Design 3D -Gold Edition. This was for helping to place furniture throughout the house. Not sure of your purpose, though.

1 Like