What are you hoping to buy after "Peek performance" event?

[quote=“budjames, post:27, topic:28009, full:false”]The unit must have 10gbe ethernet for my needs.
[/quote]

Same here. I’m wired for 10GbE to transfer large video files to my 2 superstructure backups.

1 Like

My 10gbe is used mainly for my photography (www.budjames.photography). My MBP is my workstation and I have real time back up via 10GBE ethernet to a DiskStation DS1819+. This DiskStation automatically is backed up to a DiskStation DS1819+ installed on my office network located about 10 miles away. The Synology units and software work great and have proven to be very reliable.
Regards,
Bud James

1 Like

Mac Studio, M1 Max 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB, 2TB on order. March 30-April 6 estimated arrival. I’m pretty pumped.

Paid more for my 2016 MacBook Pro that I always hated and sold prematurely due to the keyboard.

1 Like

I’m very excited by the display. It’s exactly what I was looking for (absent a new iMac) and the price is lower than I expected.

2 Likes

Alright. Came here to say I put my money where my mouth is. I ordered:

• A Studio Display with the height-adjustable stand and the nano texture display (I have a sit/stand office and the glare hits the monitor just right during the afternoons. I can move my desk around to avoid this, but it’s like playing an un-winnable game with a higher power. That sun is bright, and it moves!)
  • 16" MacBook Pro, M1 Max, 64gb RAM, 4TB storage. Thought about the new Mac Studio for a grand total of 4 seconds until I remembered I just wanted a single computer rather than my current lifestyle of database syncing hell during all my web dev projects.
  • And I also bought one of those fancy new keyboards with Touch ID and the black keys, because I’m vain and I’m a sucker.
2 Likes

Ordered a Mac Studio: M1 Max (32 core GPU), 64GB, 4TB SSD. Given that my iMac died yesterday, this is pretty much a no-brainer. In the rush I somehow missed adding Apple Care+, so I’ll have to do that after it arrives.

Where I really went a little nuts was on the display side. I’ve been running a 5K iMac with two external 4K monitors since 2017 and loving the huge amount of space. However, it always bothered me that the Dell monitors didn’t match the panel in the iMac and just generally didn’t look as good. So, I went ahead and ordered three Studio Displays. Yeah, that’s basically setting my wallet on fire, but I figure I can use these for a good, long, time.

5 Likes

I am one of the other people eager to see a photo of your new setup.

2 Likes

Oh! I forgot to ask both here and in the other thread: do you have a delivery date?

Delivery dates are March 18-22 for the Mac Studio and March 31-April 7 for the displays.

1 Like

So, I ordered a Mac Studio M1 Max with 32GB and 1TB of storage. I couldn’t decide which monitor stand I wanted so ordered one of each and will return one of them.

I would have liked to increase the storage but given the connectivity, I will just use external storage (as I do now). I figured £400 to increase from 1TB to 2TB was ridiculous.

I currently use a dual monitor setup and may well purchase another monitor further down the line.

Delivery Dates are: 21-22 for Studio, 23-30 for Monitor with the standard stand and 30 - 06/04 for the Monitor with the height adjustable stand.

1 Like

You are quite a head of me; mine is early April for the displays (April 8-15) and April 15-22 for the laptop. So I’ll be very eager to see your photos and read your normal, not-a-tech-reviewer-just-a-tech-spender insights.

1 Like

Welp. I ordered the Mac Studio M1 Ultra with the 48-core GPU, 64 GB of memeory, and 2 TB SSD. I also nabbed the Studio Display with VESA mount. Here’s hoping this beast lasts a decade like my soon-to-be-retired Mac Pro. The new Mac and its display should arrive next Friday, 18 March.

1 Like

I ordered a Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 64 GB memory, and a 2 TB SSD. And also a studio display. These will replace my 27" iMac. New display delivery will take about 10 days, Mac Studio about 3-4 weeks.

I love the fact that none of the rumor sources even hinted at a modular system replacing the 27" iMac, and available for ordering today. Just shows you that Apple can still keep a secret! And some of those recent articles about what exactly the performance of the “M2” chip would be were way, way off.

On the other hand, I wasn’t expecting to throw so much money at Apple today! I thought I likely had months to go …

3 Likes

Of course after years of waiting I bought the LG 5K display weeks ago. Now I wish I’d waited :cry:

3 Likes

So none of the new gear announced yesterday allow for memory upgrades by the user, correct? You have to purchase your storage memory and live with it forever?

Yep.

And 20 characters.

This is the¹ way.

¹ Apple

1 Like

With the retirement of the 27” iMac, the only product Apple sells with upgradable RAM is the Mac Pro (and we’ll see how long that lasts).

1 Like

Now that we are almost all Apple Silicon and the memory is part of the chipset, we will not see upgradable RAM again.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for that answer. I guess choosing your full memory upfront without upgrades is the way things work these days.