What are you hoping to buy after "Peek performance" event?

I ordered a Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 64 GB memory, and a 2 TB SSD. And also a studio display. These will replace my 27" iMac. New display delivery will take about 10 days, Mac Studio about 3-4 weeks.

I love the fact that none of the rumor sources even hinted at a modular system replacing the 27" iMac, and available for ordering today. Just shows you that Apple can still keep a secret! And some of those recent articles about what exactly the performance of the “M2” chip would be were way, way off.

On the other hand, I wasn’t expecting to throw so much money at Apple today! I thought I likely had months to go …

3 Likes

Of course after years of waiting I bought the LG 5K display weeks ago. Now I wish I’d waited :cry:

3 Likes

So none of the new gear announced yesterday allow for memory upgrades by the user, correct? You have to purchase your storage memory and live with it forever?

Yep.

And 20 characters.

This is the¹ way.

¹ Apple

1 Like

With the retirement of the 27” iMac, the only product Apple sells with upgradable RAM is the Mac Pro (and we’ll see how long that lasts).

1 Like

Now that we are almost all Apple Silicon and the memory is part of the chipset, we will not see upgradable RAM again.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for that answer. I guess choosing your full memory upfront without upgrades is the way things work these days.

Worth noting though that it’s not just an arbitrary decision to create lock-in - having it on-chip (and thus non-upgradeable) provides a significant performance boost.

One can agree or disagree about whether it’s a worthwhile tradeoff, but unlike a number of other design decisions from the past several years it provides a real-world user benefit rather than a primarily aesthetic improvement.

3 Likes

Agreed. Totally worth the benefits IMO. The speed of the RAM is dramatic as a result of being on chip.

I ordered the Mac Studio base model with 64GB RAM and 2TB SSD and new display with the basic mount. This unit will replace our “kitchen office” late 2019 iMac 27” i9 with 2TB SSD.
The iMac will replace my late 2014 iMac that is at my business office, 10 miles away. Apple gave me $260 trade in value for the 2014 iMac towards the Mac Studio. The 2014 iMac cannot be upgraded to Monterey, so it’s time for it to go.
Regards,
Bud

1 Like