What are You Reading?

So, the Snell episode prompted me to ask, what are MPU members reading now?

Do any of you have yearly reading goals?

What device do you use to read books?

Do you keep a list of books to read? What about what you have read?

And my answers:
re-reading a lot of Heinlein, reading Kyle Mills, L.T. Ryan, M.L. Ryder, Charles R. Henderson, Raphael A. Mrode and anxiously waiting for Paolo Bacigalupi, Craig Childs and Rob Zieglar to finish their latest books.

2018 I read 109 new books, re-read 11 old favorites and read 9 short stories

Electronic books are all read on my 5th generation iPad Air. The Ryder, Henderson and Mrode books are paper.

Yes, my current already purchased but not yet read kindle books is at about 150. Alot are replacements for paper books I am getting rid of and so may not get re-read for a while. Iā€™m also a sucker for the 99 cent kindle deald and I also have a kindle unlimited subscription.

Yes, I keep a paper journal of all the books Iā€™ve bene reading since 2008 along with notes. There is an electronic index of that journal so I can find my notes on books if I want to revisit them.

5 Likes

Iā€™m on book three (Endymion) of the Hyperion Cantos. (I know its old ā€“ just catching up.)

I donā€™t have yearly (or any) reading goals, but I read around 100 books / year. My reading list is whatever Iā€™ve purchased for Kindle and havenā€™t read yet. Iā€™m a sucker for enthusiastic book reviews and will click off to Amazon to grab the Kindle version in a heartbeat.

Science fiction is my treat when I donā€™t want to dig into serious books, and for night time, holidays and travel. Mainly though I read history, biography, neurophilosophy, and the annual Man Booker short list. I absolutely avoid pop culture, self help and so-called ā€œproductivityā€ books.

1 Like

Right now Iā€™m reading Creativity, Inc. by Amy Wallace and Ed Catmull about Pixar (Iā€™ve been listening to old episodes of Cortex and Myke and Grey talked about it there).

I keep a listing of books Iā€™d like to read in OmniFocus. Starting in 2018 I kept a note with a list of books that I read that year. Originally this was in Bear, but Iā€™m giving iA Writer a spin. Just started the new list for 2019.

Apart from reading I have to do for school I donā€™t necessarily have goals for reading. I think Iā€™m naturally inclined to read a little bit each day and get through what I can. With that being said I am currently reading a couple books:

2 Likes

Currently, I read The Dictatorā€™s Handbook - Why bad Behavior is almost always good Politics. It explains in a funny, yet knowledgeable way why so much bad things happen in politics. I think CGP Greyā€™s Rules for Rulers is based on the book. As a political scientist I really enjoy it. But I would recommend it also to people just slightly interested in politics.

As my reading device I use 40% my Kindle, 40% ā€œrealā€ books, and 20% iPad/iPhone Kindle app. Oh and my reading goal for the year is just 12 books, as I spend a lot of free time otherwise (i.e. listening to podcasts, reading articles, sports, gamingā€¦)

Iā€™m currently reading A Philosophy of Loneliness by Lars Svendsen. I do enjoy philosophy and heā€™s one of my favourite authors.

I read on my iPad, using iBooks. I donā€™t have goals, but travel a lot and spend my time on the train reading. I often get through a book a week.

1 Like

As far as how I read, almost every book I buy these days is an ebook, usually on Kindle. I will occasionally buy a physical hardback book either for certain authors I really like (Neal Stephenson or Neil Gaiman, for instance), because a used physical copy is much cheaper than an ebook, or if itā€™s something like a coffee table book that benefits from the physical form factor (along these lines I just bought a copy of Typeset in the Future).

Most of my ebook reading is on a Kindle Voyage. Iā€™ll read on my iPad Pro if itā€™s a graphic novel or something else with lots of color illustrations.

Last October I moved to a new apartment thatā€™s literally right across the street from the cityā€™s nice new central library, and Iā€™ve been trying to take advantage of that. Now I almost always check to see if the library has a copy of something before I buy it. Despite buying mostly ebooks, a much larger proportion of my reading is physical books from the library.

2 Likes

Being a book buff Iā€™ve always tried to read as much as possible, but just havenā€™t had the time or the energy to read a book, the past couple of years, but since my New Years resolution this year is to make some fundamental changes in my life, I promised myself I would get back to reading at least four books (400+ pages pr. bookā€¦ at least) each year (I use to read 10+ books a year, but youā€™ve got to start somewhere, right).

I just started reading Anthony de Melloā€™s ā€œAwarenessā€.
This is only 232 pages, but this came as a recommendation from a friend so Iā€™ll give it a shot.

Previously Iā€™ve always read ā€œrealā€ books. I say real because most of my books are paperbacks - I find them real but some apparently think lesser of a paperback than a hardbackšŸ™„
Anyway, this is my first attempt at reading books in Appleā€™s Books, and even though Iā€™m only 31 pages in I kinda like this way of reading, though I think Iā€™ll keep buying some physical books as well. I kinda miss the feel of the paper between my thumb & index finger.
I guess old habits die hard, I guessšŸ˜‚

1 Like

Just stick to it and keep on going. :blush: I remember when I were a child/teen where I spent hours reading a single book. Nowadays I struggle to keep concentrating which annoys me. There is something spinning constantly in the back of my mind. It works way better for me if I am in a train/bus. The constant noise somehow shuts off the ā€œdaemonā€. Also music helps. Grey talked about this phenomenon in a Cortex episodeā€¦ I donā€™t know if it is because of the internet and its tiny pieces of entertainment or the constant struggle to ā€œget things (simultaneously) doneā€ my attention span is shorter but I certainly donā€™t like itā€¦ and try to get better at it.

1 Like

My hope is 19 books this year. I used to read so much more before our son was born (heā€™s nearly 6).

Right now Iā€™m in the middle of a bunch of books:

• Becoming - Michelle Obama

• Salt Fat Acid Heat - Samin Nosrat

• Sing Unburied Sing - Jesmyn Ward

• The Best Cook in the World - Rick Bragg

Iā€™m also reading my kid some Odysseus stories.

I donā€™t read e-books. I love holding a book and turning the pages. Iā€™ve had a kindle and it just doesnā€™t stick for me. Though Iā€™m always tempted to try againā€¦

RIght now: ā€œSapiens: A Brief History of Humankindā€ by Prof. Yuval Noah Harari, paper edition.

I read both physical books and eBooks on my iPad Pro.

2 Likes

Wowzers that is impressive! :exploding_head:

Just wrapped up my 2nd go-through of Atomic Habits, extremely high quality book in terms of useful material. I suspect it will be a book that I reference repeatedly this year.

1 Like

Iā€™m lucky enough to get to read a lot as part of my job. I usually read between 50-100 books a year for work. These are usually paper, partly because my annotation system is old school, but also because I find it easier to use my fingers to flip back and forth for endnotes and indexing.

For pleasure, I read a lot on an iPad mini using the Kindle app, though for comics which I read on paper. Because I commute about 10+ hours a week, I also get through a lot of audiobooks (30-40 a year), heavily weighted toward noir detective fiction.

The most recent audiobook I listened to was young adult fiction The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. I recommend it highly.

1 Like

Just finished reading Philip Rothā€™s American Pastoral on my Kobo Clara HD tonight. Intense. That guy can pack a lot into a sentence.

Speaking of Philipp Rothā€¦ The Plot against America is easily in my top 10 of all time. Great book!

1 Like

Do you have any recommendation for noir detective fiction?

Finishing Greg Eganā€™s Diaspora and next starting Alan Greenspanā€™s Capitalism in America, A history. I read mostly on the kindle, occasionally on the iPad and iPhone.

I bought this book yesterday and my initial impression is that it is an excellent cookbook with an original approach. (I was inspired to buy it by the series on Netflix.)

3 Likes

Iā€™m not a big believer in fate or getting cues from the universe or anything, but youā€™re the 3rd person in the last 24 hours to recommend this book (all from separate forums)!

Looks like Iā€™ll be putting this on reading list :sunglasses:

1 Like