What are you top Mac Apps and how did they change your "life"

Is that an automatic backup? Is it easy to implement? I would love to be able to do this… I am sorry I am such a newbie!!

1 Like

You all seem to be using 1Password… I have been using Dashlane for about a year now… is 1Password better?! Am I missing something?!

The incredible rush of power that I feel when I use Keyboard Maestro (:heart_eyes:) makes it –by far– my top Mac app.

It fundamentally changed the relationship I have with the professional work I do, thus: it changed my life. I own my own business and fly solo, so the amount of leverage I can build for myself using Keyboard Maestro is extremely empowering and it makes me want to work more.

When I get properly situated with my new iMac I have coming in the mail I’m going to “go to the next level” and start incorporating Text Expander, Hazel, Better Touch Tool (which I’m already playing around with), and a few other little ones here and there.

And of course, I have to mention Adobe’s heavy-hitters (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, After Effects, Lightroom Classic, and Premiere Pro) but that’s run-of-the-mill stuff… This is MPU!

1 Like

No. Or it must be that you’re not listening to “influencers” and are making up your own mind. Which is a very positive thing imho. If Dashlane works for you (and why wouldn’t it?) there is no reason to switch to another password manager. I’m using SafeInCloud Password Manager and have no reason to switch either.

3 Likes

no worries, everyone is a newbie when they do something for the first time :slight_smile:

I use a combination of Hazel (iCloud drive folders), Resilio Sync (some larger folders and Photo’s library) and the Synology Drive app to move everything to where it needs to be. From there Synology’s Hyper backup encrypts it en sends the most important data to the Synology C2 cloud storage option I have.

It’s somehow grown naturally this way. To start with I’d look something like a Resilio sync and Synology Drive mix, should not be that hard to implement.

You all seem to be using 1Password…

Seems that way, doesn’t it?

1P was the 1st password manager that really integrated well with iOS/macOS and was not a web solution, so many people went there years ago. For me it’s still a very good solution.

That does not mean other solutions aren’t also good, or even better, for me that’s just what I tried first, and I’ve been very happy with their solutions for years now.

3 Likes

So as not to hijack the thread I’ll note that if you search you’ll find a lot of password-related discussions. Like this one

Why oh why did I not think about using Hazel. Just being playing with it for the last week. I can see there is a sync rule so perfect! TYVM.

@anon41602260 and the virus of FOMO rears its ugly head like a bad case of herpes.

There are a few functional areas that reduced the candidate selection to a few choices. Excel or Numbers, Powerpoint or Keynote but others where there are so many choices one’s eyes tend to gloss over and many apps are kept to suppress the FOMO virus and screen capture apps are one such category.

Is that intended to be funny? I don’t get the point at all. I was merely saying I like the app.

3 Likes

We see …

Followed by …

But in history we also see …

Is this as a case tending toward Pot, Kettle, Black?

Also, the rather cluttered, run-on grammar phrasing of the post makes parsing its meaning difficult. When the intent is to insist that all cases but those concerning spreadsheets or presentation apps are FOMO-related and therefore are not worth discussing seriously, I (and apparently others who have replied) strongly disagree, and even you have contracted yourself based on your previous reply.

JJW

1 Like

Thanks.

This thread is giving me a Derrida-esque headache.
:face_with_head_bandage:
Going to mute it out.

2 Likes

Keyboard Maestro
Total game changer in how I use any app, wish I had tried it earlier.

Edit: Things, a great to-do app and my second brain.

1 Like

There are top apps and life-changing apps that I still used until today. From 1Password, Hazel, Yoink, Screenfloat, to Affinity Designer. But Ulysses is the one app that really changed my life.

I encountered Ulysses app version 2 when I was desperately looking for a replacement for an independently made app called Journler. Ulysses changed the way I approach writing. As a designer, many things distract me; UI, font choices, placement of buttons, and the overall feel of an app. I relied on Textedit to write stuff because it allows me to just write.

When I discovered Ulysses, I fell in love with its approach in distraction-free writing and still have advanced tools such as markdown, typewriter mode, goals, and consolidated file browser. I also liked the fact that it has an iOS counterpart called Daedalus Touch that allows me to write on my iPad. I went through multiple writing apps—from iA Writer, Editorial, nvALT, Mou, Ommwriter, and countless others. Only Ulysses kept me writing even when I’m uninspired, it provided me the push I need.

Now, my project Stories from the Barrio lives in Ulysses. I write folk stories and produced them as a podcast. I partner it with essay and research about the cultural impact of the folk stories that I write. It also helped me deal with past trauma and my depression. In a decade, I have never thought that I am fulfilling my lifelong dream of being a storyteller and a writer. I can’t say that I am a successful writer, but I can say that I have enough stories that some people enjoy. And that’s enough for me.

10 Likes

Very similar to Ulysses, I was very nicely surprised by Typora recently !

3 Likes

Top, life-changing apps for me have been the powerful apps that let me, theoretically at least, produce professional-ish results without too much hassle. These include GarageBand, Logic Pro, Studio One with RX7, Graphic, SketchUp perhaps, and a shout out to Procreate on my wife’s behalf as that has been an amazing game-changer for her.

But I want to focus on two only, which have had the biggest impact on my life.

Case 1: Final Cut Pro
FCP has changed my life quite recently.
I’m a school level Physics teacher who’s been thinking about and toying with a ‘flipped classroom’ idea for a while.

With Covid, I found myself unable to explain concepts clearly to my students, and I was at home a lot where my computer setup is significantly better than at school.

So, I started making Lesson Videos. I tried many methods, but the one that stuck for me was videoing my bits to camera on my Olympus camera, recording my voice with Quicktime, and recording my notes in Explain Everything. Final Cut Pro allowed me to bring these together in a timely manner, with neat titles and transitions, speedy editing and simple export to YouTube. As a total amateur, I’m blown away by what is possible here.
And with an education discount, the price was a steal for what you get.

Case 2: Xcode
I’ve been programming since I had a 48k Spectrum and later a Commodore 64 (with Assembly Language cartridge). I wrote ‘real’ programs when I was a kid; nothing complex with my most ambitious project being a simple sprite drawing program. Since then it has always been small scripts though, with my useful things being done in VBA as macros in Excel. Now I do a lot in Javascript in Google Sheets (yes, top app for me would be a spreadsheet, but that’s been lifelong, nothing changed!).

However, Xcode and Swift made high quality programming accessible again. Being able to lean on Apple’s APIs etc and create pretty complex apps has really brought me a massive amount of joy in the last few years. And being able to publish them with relatively little complexity has been a significant enabler.

In other threads people are piling on Apple for being anti-developer, but to my eyes Apple has been a massive driving force enabling people to move into development when otherwise coding is a mysterious black box. No, not everyone benefits from this and there are real problems still, but I’m just writing about me :wink:

11 Likes

Ok this is a super boring answer, but, Preview.

There are lots of other apps that come to mind, but I started to think about how often I use Preview, and just how easy it makes so many tasks that were way more complicated in the Windows world, and I realized this boring answer may qualify as a life-changer within the world of apps, even though is hasn’t literally changed my life.

10 Likes

I have a few, all mentioned here by somebody or other. The top three though. Have to be Keyboard Maestro, DEVONthink 3 and Ulysses. Covers nearly everything I do. I think Keyboard Maestro is my number one really. I don’t even have a lot of macros, some expansions on it but the ones I have are essential and well in muscle memory.

I have Alfred and love it. Bookends and Mellel. Houdah Spot is great too. I dropped Drafts in fact because Houdah Spot wouldn’t search it. I would like best if Mail become liberated again for Houdah Spot.

3 Likes

My guess is that enabling Spotlight indexing in the Drafts preferences should resolve this. (General—>Index drafts in Spotlight)

4 Likes

This video mentions a ton of good Mac apps.

3 Likes

Thanks so much. I had that checked but as far as I can see it isn’t showing on spotlight. I hadn’t realized there was a tickbox though so thanks again.