Considering switching from 1Password to Dashlane

I’ve been using 1Pasword now for several years, but keep having a number of issues that I want to get away from.

Dashlane looks like the strongest contestant, I will download their trial and give it a shot.

Have any of you ditched 1PW for Dashlane (or other manager) or vice-versa?
I’d like to hear your experiences.

It looks like Dashlane doesn’t support Software Licenses, which is unfortunate.
Also, when migrating “All data” from 1 PW to Dashlane, Dashlane only imported my login credentials. My secure notes and software licenses didn’t get imported. :frowning:

1 Like

I switched from LastPass to 1Password several years ago. I have been happy with 1PW - especially with the iOS improvements the last several OS releases - so have not looked into other products.

What issues are you trying to get away from?

I would be interested in knowing what issues you are trying to get away from. I consider the team at Agile Bits to be the gold standard for handling my sensitive data. I am ecstatic with the product and service. The latest iOS enhancements have been awesome.

2 Likes

It sounds like your attempt to switch away from 1Password has already left you realizing that the alternatives aren’t as good or as full-featured.

Rather than abandon ship, it seems like it would be a good idea to see if you can’t solve the issues with 1Password. Have you tried the 1Password support forum or contacting the 1Password support staff directly?

Wirecutter preferred LastPass to Dashlane as a cross-platform solution. But it’s iOS/Mac pick was 1Password.

Apple’s reportedly site-licensed 1Password recently, so I anticipate that Mac/iOS support will only improve (it’s been darn good for me for years) going forward.

I went from LastPass to 1Password for Families (on iOS, macOS, and Windows).

Very happy with 1Password.

Does Dashlane have this new autocomplete integration in iOS 12 like 1Password or iCloud Keychain? This was a real game-changer for me and it would be hard to go back. That said, I am also a very happy 1Password customer.

I tried them all.

Dashlane was fine but far too expensive for the features you get. It was my go-to for older relatives but at that price, I don’t recommend them. I also don’t trust their auto change for passwords since they do it server side which means at one point your sensitive password is in plaintext. That is a big no-no, a password manager should never have your passwords in plaintext at any moment on their servers.

Other things that I did not like about Dashlane was that its maximum password length is 28 characters. Umm… I don’t know who decided that was okay but I rather make my own Maximum length or have it be well above that.

Dashlane also did autofill and auto login which at first seem great, I never saw the login pages. But then it started to not be so great. It will auto fill in places that I did not want it to and then it would press enter and submit the password to who knows what resulting in me having to change passwords many times.

But the real nail in the coffin for me was reading about real Dashlane user saying that Dashlane deleted their account and all the passwords. That to me is a no go. They have one job and that is to keep the passwords safe and secured. If they can’t do that they don’t get my money.

The only password manager that comes in second to 1Password will be Bitwarden. It’s got a lot of promise but 1Password does better. Things like the secret key and the support team for 1Password puts it miles ahead of everyone else.

What are the problems you are having?

As others have said 1PassWord is generally considered the gold standard on teh Mac but if there is somethingn specific that isn’t workng then perhaps something else would be more appropriate.

I’ve never used anything but 1PassWord once I switched to a password manager. For me the secure notes are critical. I do not have the subscription one but instead keep it on my machine and handle my own sync to iOS devices and other macs myself.

I bought 1Password in the years before subscription service and was glad to have a password generator and manager. I love its secure notes and organization features – I store a lot of info, ID images, etc. Unfortunately, I often had to redo the web Links (that is, the html links that took you to a site and logged you in in one fell swoop.) After Apple introduced iCloud Keychain, I turned off 1Password and now use it only for secure storage, it syncs well,with all my devices. Now, Apple’s iCloud Keychain serves all of my password needs, it keeps getting better.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to say that 1Password 7 can still be purchased without a subscription, although that’s not always obvious when you’re looking at the site.

(Actually, to clarify: if you download 1Password from the Mac App Store, you can only use it with a subscription, if you want a license you need to get it from Agilebits directly. Given the difficulty of getting refunds from the Mac App Store, you can understand why they wouldn’t want to have customers potentially buying the wrong thing from the Mac App Store and being unable to switch… i.e. if you buy a license from Agilebits and want to switch to a subscription, Agilebits can help. If you buy a license from the Mac App Store but wanted a subscription, Agilebits can’t refund your money, because Apple controls that.)

Yes, it does. And it works very well if you ask me

What issues?
1Password is an application I´d gladly pay triple the price, consider one the the most essential pieces of software for me and have 99.99999% trust in it.

1 Like

I personally loathe 1Password’s decision to not only switch to a subscription model, but also to blatantly hide the one-time purchase, burying it so that it’s not publicly visible, and requires special communication with them to purchase. They also don’t give clear information on what features are not accessible to non-subscribers.

You can still buy 1Password as a one-time purchase, but you have jump through several hoops. I refuse to go subscription model on anything because it reduces incentive for the developers to innovate. They can keep putting out the exact same thing for 30 years and you’re locked into the monthly price. With one-time purchases, they need to impress the consumer with meaningful upgrades in order to get the consumer to part ways with their hard-earned money.

I still use 1Password, and am upset that I don’t think I can upgrade to Mohajve without losing access to the Safari bookmarklet, because I’ve read they pushed that feature to subscription only. Am I sure that’s the case? No, because they’re intentionally obfuscating what limitations, if any, exist on the one-time purchase version, because they don’t want anyone buying it. It’s very goofy to me.

I understand that even security updates and OS updates require programmer “woman-hour” development costs, but the simple way to solve that problem is to say “We will support the one-time license purchase for X years with updates to make it functional with the newest OS and patch any security vulnerabilities found”. That’s how Microsoft handles Windows and MS Office updates for one-time purchases. It seems reasonable and I would support that.

I plan on switching to one of the KeePass forks whenever 1Password cuts me off from features I’ve already been using and paid for.

Too many to go into here

Yes, I have contacted the forum

Good luck then - hope it works out for you.

1 Like

Like others I’m curious about what the issues are that cause you to want to find an alternative. 1P can be problematic. I have a boutique business teaching older folks how to use their computers. ( https://patientsympatheticcoaching.com) I’ve given up talking them into installing 1P because you have to understand how logins work and sometimes it doesn’t so you need to know the manual way. For instance one client on her Windows machine 1P wasn’t saving/updating new logins. Why? I don’t know and can’t figure out. Another client had it installed and 1P refused to do the identity and credit card fill. That got fixed on an upgrade. I’m a good teacher but can’t figure out how to simplify 1P to teach it. So yes, my clients have lists and sometimes use a single password for all their sites. Ugh… I try…

After playing around with many managers, the only way you can take my 1Password away from me is from my cold, dead hands. :wink: