What are you using for task management in 2022?

Not so sad. If they existed your employer would probably buy them.

1 Like

I’m a freelancer, so in that sense, I kind of am the employer.

2 Likes

2Do for personal tasks and Pagico for team projects. Both are available on SetApp.

1 Like

I’ve actually just added GoodTask for the extras on top of reminders, so far I am loving it.

I think why it’s also so handy is because I can still share lists with people who don’t need all the Goodtask functionality, but do use reminders!

To be honest it does take a bit of getting used to, it was a simple switch from reminders, but now I’ve set it up to 80% of the way I want it, it’s great.

1 Like

This is one things i dislike about Things. No need to review the previous day and decide what to do with tasks you did not finish the day before, Things just rolls over everything and in the end it becomes a mess.

I guess it has to do with they way you work with a task manager. For me it is better to review overdue and deferred tasks and decide what to do with them the moment they show up.

1 Like

You could technically make a perspective that simulates the Things view as well.

I tried a good task but struggled with figuring it out. It’s not particularly intuitive, or, I’m just a slow learner. :slightly_smiling_face: I think I’ll give it another look given that I use Reminders as my task manager.

You’re right. It’s not easy to use, period. I consider myself a power user and prefer Reminders.

That’s good to know; now I feel less “slow.” :rofl:

Or I’m becoming “slower” myself, that’s also a certain possibility.

1 Like

But to this we shall never admit! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

No, just moving at a stately pace.

3 Likes

Currently using Things, but honestly I’m thinking of making the switch to Reminders.

I’d don’t use Macs only because they are “functional.” DOS is functional. I use a Mac because its UI is functional and beautiful. It’s a pleasure to use, a pleasure I never felt using DOS and then later Windows.

The same is true for apps. I don’t use apps just because they are functional. If given an option between two apps that both meet my needs, I’ll opt for the one that’s also beautiful and pleasurable to use.

Life for many of us is more than just being about “functional.” It’s also about enjoying beauty and pleasant aesthetics while being functional at the same time. Most of us don’t fill our homes with just “functional” items, but also consider whether they are aesthetically pleasing to us. I don’t see why using computers has to only be based on the criteria of function. That’s one of the main reasons the Mac was designed.

4 Likes

Apple Reminders paired with the Remind me Faster app.

3 Likes

Give it some time!

I watched the YouTube videos over a couple of days and got a good understanding!

The thing that confused me was tags! They are actually text in the note (I believe this is something to do with how it talks to reminders) and you can create them in 3 different places. This process felt far less intuitive than I think it could be - but fine once you work it out!

My favourite feature by far is the board view (which is funny considering I never use Kanban), the completed summary and you can open a window of tasks scheduled for the day (which I pin on top).

The developer is also very active on their discourse, which is nice!

1 Like

Using Things, and have recently moved back to it…
But I often miss the defer dates of my beloved OmniFocus.
I was really starting to lose faith in the OmniFocus 4 Beta, seemed very hard to navigate.

However, my work is such that I do need some form of deferred tasks to be able to only see tasks when they are available, and not before.

Things does a really good job of having a focused view (Today) that allows me to manage where my attention is, and I have been dragging tasks up and down the list to denote priority. I am such a GTD advocate that I always use a tag on every single task. Things has great keyboard shortcuts that allow me to do this with ease on the Mac and iPad.

I do find myself really missing the power of the OmniFocus Watch application, believe it or not. I like just tapping my wrist and seeing a “home” tag, that is structured by due date, and that allows me to have a sorted morning routine, whereas with Things I must manually drag that set of tasks to the top of my Today list so that when I tap the watch app (which, in my opinion needs to be syncing in the background instead of only when you view it) I can see the tasks in order of what I like.

Example of where OmniFocus is a clear winner: at a stoplight.

What I mean by this is I should be able to tap my wrist, so that I can see an errand that I need to run quickly so that I’m not missing the opportunity while I am out and about traveling and…at a stoplight, for example.

Things really misses the mark here because I will have had to have the forethought to bring that errand or any errands that I have tacked to the top of my to do list so that it is viewable on my watch. Whereas, with OmniFocus I had a next actions perspective, sorted by tag, so I could just quickly tap “errands”, and all of the errand tags tasks would appear.

I think I’m at that weird friction point where I want to see what OmniFocus 4 looks like in its final stages, before going all in back to it. So for the moment, I’m hanging out in Things 3 - But I’m absolutely feeling that pull back to OmniFocus. I’ll admit Things has always been prettier, but the Omni Group is just fantastic in their customer commitment. Guess I’m just a little worried about OF 4’s usability.

Ok, you convinced me. I already have the app so I’m going to give it another go. I hope he is updating it for Ventura. :slightly_smiling_face:

I also have used GoodTask. This app does have some nice features. Since it uses the same database - I ended up using BOTH Apps Reminders & GoodTask for whoever had the best feature for what I needed it for at that moment. (not really complicated once you get familiar with both apps).

There are tankless water heaters with small size capable of infinite showers.

There’s also org mode. Most of the “new” features that task managers add have been in org for years. Lots of overhead in getting started. Logseq addresses that and provides a reduced but usable subset of the functionality.