What are you using for task management in 2022?

« Hah! They think OmniFocus feels ancient? Wait until they experience the glories of Vim/Emacs! »

Yes, we’re all aware of tankless here, but it’s several times the price of a tank and more expensive every month too with the rates we pay in our region. Not very practical.

Anyone else just changing task management apps every few months, and here looking for inspiration on the next inevitable jump?

2 Likes

How about Things 4???!

1 Like

Judging by the Cultured code update recently, I don’t think that’s any time soon.

1 Like

Of course. As my workflow is very calendar-heavy I can easily switch apps --although it puts the requirement that 2-way calendar syncing must be great. Although to be honest, with Reminders acting as a common database that other apps can build upon (see Goodtask or Fantastical) I think it’s going to be hard to make me switch.

2 Likes

I’ve done my fair share of experimenting with OF, Things 3 and Reminders but my workflow has significantly stabilized. I’ve done little switching of late. I’m finding myself increasingly satisfied with my task manager (Reminders—which will be even better with iOS 16) and my other apps. The only recent change I’ve made is switching from MyFitnessPal to Lose-it and I’ve added Alfred back into my mix of apps. I’m still subject to the Siren Call but the call has less and less pull on me. I “think” that is progress. :slightly_smiling_face:

This screenshot shows nearly everything I use—see the menu bar and dock. I do use Word and Excel if someone sends me a document in one of those file formats but otherwise, what is shown on this screenshot is 99% of what I use.

2 Likes

I have to say that I’m tempted to switch to Reminders. Some of the features are awesome and are missing from Things. Features like location based reminders, reminders when texting with someone, attachments, etc. For now I’m just adding tasks in Reminders that use those features and use Things for everything else.

1 Like

For me the biggest advantage is the deep system integration. I find that a significant gain in efficiency.

Some of the integrations are a mystery. For example, a friend was sending back some old license plates and sent me this text in iMessage “You should be getting the plates tomorrow. Let us know please when you get them.”

Reminders offered to create a reminder and it includes a link to this message. When I tap on the link it actually scrolls back in the conversation to this exact line. This is cool, but I have no idea how to add this type of link for other messages. Do you know?

Using Reminders with Messages is one of the integrations that I have yet to use. To be honest, I am not a big fan of texting as a general proposition so I have not had occasion to use that feature. I suspect like all things, there is a YouTube video on it. :blush: Sorry I am not of more help on this particular feature.

What are they adding in iOS 16, out of curiosity?

Thanks.

This is one of the websites I was complaining about in this post:

There is an auto play video above and below each paragraph, so there was no way for me to position the text without a distraction. It was difficult to scroll as things kept jumping around. Halfway through the article the page crashed and reloaded and I had to find where I had left off. And off course no Reader mode.

3 Likes
  • Templates
  • Completed smart list so you can actually see when a reminder was checked off
  • Morning, Afternoon, and Evening sections in the Today view
  • More smart list rules
  • and likely a lot more I’m missing…

The thing I’m most looking forward to is the ability to have all the tasks for today show in the badge of the app icon. Previously a badge would only be shown for overdue tasks. This is such a huge improvement. This and the completed list are making me actually use Reminders.

2 Likes

In addition to what what @pantulis posted, here is the information from Apple’s site.

3 Likes

Thanks. I should have clarified when I asked the question as my answer was only a google away LOL.

I’m curious what you, @Bmosbacker in particular is looking forward to. I know you use Reminders as your main app, so I am curious what features you (as someone who uses it every day) is looking forward to most?

Things 3 for daily tasks. MindNode for project materials, ideas. Day One for dumping thoughts.

2 Likes

Speaking of which, how are websites able to bypass 1Blocker? Should I have more than one blocking app installed? Currently, I have Safari set to block popups and 1Blocker installed but I still get this:

I like lifehacker so this is not about that particular site; my question is technical, why isn’t the popup blocked?

:slightly_smiling_face: I’ll make use of all of the new features but the one’s I’m most excited about are: enhanced filtering, pinning lists, and templates. The enhanced filtering is of particular interest as it will enable me to come close to replicating the perspectives feature in OF.

3 Likes