What are you using to manage your photos?

I’m still using Aperture, and will continue until it stops running. All images are “referenced” and stored in folder hierarchies by date and event. Then I export processed images into a folder hierarchy on the server system, sorted by location (mostly landscapes) or event (everything else). Then the photos are viewed by various means. I’ve primarily used Google for public display, although some photos are on my website. Sharing photo files with my family has been done using Resilio Sync shared folders.

I don’t like storing photos in databases. I much prefer the security (?) of file system folders.

Lightroom all the way for me. Started using it during betas prior to v1.0. Importing from DSLR and iOS devices. Love how it supports splitting the library across multiple storage devices, so I can keep the most recent years on local drive and older photos on the Synology. iMac is backed up to a local USB attached drive and the Synology is backed up to Amazon Glacier - very good value for this use case.

Using the CC Classic in Photographer Bundle. As for cost, I recon it is still way cheaper than the time I was buying film, getting the rolls developed and put into albums. Also, SO much more convenient and flexible.

2 Likes

Which OS are you using it with? I invested heavily in Aperture but stopped shortly after they announced it was discontinued.

Does anyone use Mylio?

I gave up trying to manage mine a while ago and let icoukd photo library do it for me.

Thanks all for the countless examples and suggestions. I think in thinking about this I need to do a couple things. One is to evaluate my usage or lack of with Lightroom. I also need to take a look at how Lightroom CC stores files. I’ll do some more digging but hopefully, I’ll arrive at a solution in the coming weeks. This could also coincide with my changing storage needs and maybe buying a NAS or larger external HD.

I’m shocked @dfay is still using Aperture especially because I’d imagine compatibility with certain files might be iffy.

I like @Noerah’s backup solutions. @ronguest’s thoughts on the matter are rather well put and could mirror my own thoughts as well. The design and power of search even within iCloud Photos are fantastic. @OogieM’s backup stuff is also interesting as I too am thinking of taking on a scanning project of family photos and Lightroom might be the best to use to manage them in a separate library.

Aperture still works, even with the Mojave beta. Note that it works with RAW formats in new cameras because it uses the OS’s RAW file support. But that will be the end of the road because I use 32-bit extensions.

Lightroom does NOT store your files. Those are separate from the LightRoom catalog. Think of LR as a super good catalog and metadata editor that also keeps non-destructive picture editing instructions in it for every picture you want to edit.

I have chosen for my actual picture files to be stored by year and within a year a separate folder for each day. I have separate year folders for my own pictures and for those from other people, a set from my husband and then sets from various other folks that give me copies or permissions to store the photo files.

1 Like

My mistake, I should have phrased it as “how does Lightroom CC manage files”. I too have my camera photos organized by year and month. Haven’t gotten to doing this for iOS though I’d assume Hazel could automate this rather well.

Has anyone been having problems with PhotoSync not recognising new photos? It seems to be the case that if they are shot or edited with some third-party apps, PhotoSync no longer thinks they are new…which means laborious work selecting and syncing manually instead.

I’m having trouble with using the wifi signal location based uploading and don’t like the lack of confirmation of upload.

Google photos. It’s amazing.

Google Photos is pretty awesome! One of my multiple ways I back stuff up.

I regularly import my iPhone photos into Photos on the Mac (then delete them from the phone).

My ‘real’ camera pics are usually RAW images, and I use Lightroom Classic to import them from SD cards, manage them, and do post-production on them.

I currently make no use of the cloud for storage because I don’t need 24/7 access to my images for viewing and sharing.

I think I’m going to use Photos for my iOS photos and videos. I’ll look into seeing about in the future when I have a NAS being able to send photos and videos to my NAS and then Hazel sorting it and Lightroom referencing it. I find myself not using Lightroom as much though I also don’t wanna give up the syncing of Photos.

If I backup my Photos library even if I have stuff in the cloud, will that be backed up too or would it get deleted/corrupted? I’m paranoid I guess…hmmm

For Photo management only, you might have a look at Adobe Bridge. It’s more like a Finder but targeted to photos. There is no editor, which is why Lightroom exist :slight_smile: But you can still tag or arrange profile to your liking. I’m unsure if it’s still free.
https://www.adobe.com/products/bridge.html

As @OogieM, I’m storing my photo in a 2 level folder : Year/year-month-day-location-event/

Lightroom CC, but then again, I’m an advanced amateur in photography. Photos has been getting quite good, and I’m finding myself looking to see if it might be able to replace my mobile photo workflow.

Just throwing this out there, but Derrick Story had a recent podcast summarizing some of the new imaging features in Mojave and Apple Photos. Gallery View in the Finder now supports EXIF data, which is great if you use the Finder as your photo filing system.

I gave up on Photos because the library was getting enormous on my hard drive. Upgraded my old license of Graphic Converter and I use that for photo management, and an old copy of Photoshop for the occasional edit that GC can’t handle. GC is a great product with great support!

After having been a Lightroom user for years, I migrated to Photos, driven by the desire to simplify my digital life and by the fact I take the vast majority of « keepers » on the iPhone, not on the DSLR anymore.
Additional upside is that all pictures are synced, made searchable, backed up etc without doing anything.
I’m still struggling with the lack of good photo editing software on the iPad that natively and smartly use iCloud Photos: the iOS Photos app editor is limited; DarkRoom is really nice but has no iPad app; Lightroom CC is probably the best but doesn’t really work well with iCloud Photos.

Adobe’s had that for a while, by the way.