What are your favorite iPhone and iPad games?

I’ve never been a gamer and I’ve often thought I was missing out because of that. I’ve decided to try a few and then I’ll either get into gaming or get it out of my system.

What are your favorite iPhone and iPad games?

1 Like

Divinity Original Sin 2. This is only game I currently play. iPad, RPG, turn by turn combat, good voice work, some humour. Immersive.

I’ll come back later with a few other recommendations of other games that have caught my attention.

3 Likes

Monument Valley 1 & 2
Alto’s Odyssey and Adventure
Civilization VI
Threes
Deadspace (no longer updated)
Grindstone
Sayonara Wild Hearts
Gorogoa
the original Angry Birds
Swords and Sworcery
Rolando
Florence
Inside
Mini Motorways
Plants Vs. Zombies
The Room
all the Walking Dead games by Tell Tale.

I’ve played more but this are the games on top of my head.I have many fond memories of playing games on iOS. They’re not just time waster for me. Some of this games can be considered a work of art.

I still have my old iPad 1 and old iPhones to play classic iOS games that’s no longer updated to a bigger screen or retina devices.

Is there a genre that you enjoyed in the past? This will help with some game recommendations.

5 Likes

The game I spend most time on is Civilization VI. I also like the Baldur’s Gate series and Neverwinter Nights.

4 Likes

To add…

On my phone: Street Fighter IV CE (reminder of a well/mis-spent youth); Alto’s Odyssey and Adventure are perennial favourites. Other iOS games I’ve played and enjoyed over the years:

Oh, and I’m currently beta testing Battlexic, something like a cross between Go and Draughts with letters/words. Good for a bit of a cognitive challenge every now and then, and not as intrusive or manic/noisy as some of the other word games I’ve tried out in the past.

As with many other app categories, the real gems are rarely those hyped by App Store spotlights/features, and there’s a lot of eye candy with very little depth. But there are definitely some good experiences out there— subject to individual taste, of course.

4 Likes

Forgot to list this one.

Banner Saga is also great. Played it Switch as at the time, it was on sale and was cheaper. Graphics is probably better on iOS and touchscreen would made it more enjoyable.

3 Likes

I lost way too much time to Civ II on the iPad. So much so I had to skip/not buy Civ IV.

Replaying Monkey Island 2 was a highlight (no longer available) and Thimbleweed Park is my fav iOS gaming experience so far - https://thimbleweedpark.com

2 Likes

Where Cards Fall was a lot of fun. I didn’t understand the story line at all, but the puzzles were really enjoyable.

2 Likes

300h+ on Slay the Spire and still enjoying it.

3 Likes

This thread is fantastic! I too feel like I’d like to play a game, or two, on my ipad but I don’t know where to start.

The last time I played a big game was 20 years ago. It was Tomb Raider something. I was living in Scotland at the time and I ended up posting the CDs to a friend of mine in New Zealand so that I couldn’t play it. Is there anything like that … but maybe not as addictive?

3 Likes

Go with Narrative type games. Stay away from Civ VI or Grindstone.

Oxenfree
Life is Strange
Thimbleweed Park
Florence
South of the Circle
Gone Home
Journey

4 Likes

The Clap Hanz golf game is great fun but best on an iPad.

As good as Alto in it’s way although a different kind of game.

:smiley:

Only 1 game and on my iPhone only. I don’t play games on my iPad. Solitaire City by Peter Wiseman. I usually play Yukon Rule 1 and I do it only against myself not on the game center against other people. Occasionally Klondike and Pyramid. When Im stuck with a programming or databse issue I use it like set of fiddle beads or soemthign. I don’t have to think it keeps me mdoderately busy and when I’ve played a couple of games the answer usually is self evident. It’s almost like a meditation practice for me.

1 Like

I don’t play games at all but have lately considered getting a controller and see if I can have some downtime via Apple TV. My wife, similar to Oogie has one game, Spider Solitaire, she has literally been playing if for years(I didn’t realise there were levels). She’ll even play while we’re driving to a cafe for breakfast (so much for my conversation skills)

As my hobby and career are in the area of personal development, I need to find something to get my head out of the game occasionally.

Just downloading Civ VI. Must be huge it’s still downloading after 5 minutes and less than 25% through! :scream:

2 Likes

Bye sleep!!!

here are your twenty characters.

5 Likes

My favourite games include all of the old Bioware Forgotten Realms games (Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights), but my very favourite of all is Civilization Revolution 1 (2 is terrible). It’s no longer available (32 bit only), but I bought a refurbished iPad Mini 1 just so that I could keep playing it. It’s like the speed chess version of Civilization: two hours and you’re done, and absolutely perfect for cross country/continent flights (two games and you’re preparing for landing).

1 Like

Carcassonne
Ticket to Ride
SET
Simon Tatham’s Puzzles
Microsoft Card game

1 Like

+1 on Ticket to Ride

My family and I have played the analog version for years. The iOS version is surprisingly good in either solo play against the computer mode or playing in local mode with others in the room. Really well done

2 Likes

Many good ones already listed. I’ll add just one more.

Grand Mountain Adventure - Great skiing/snowboarding game. Simulation and controls are quite good.

1 Like

Just a few of my favourites that haven’t been mentioned yet:

• Kingdom Rush
  • Mini Metro
  • Osmos
  • Plague Inc
  • The Oregon Trail (part of Apple Arcade)
3 Likes