What are your "life's too short to waste" keyboard shortcuts?

Continuing @ryanjamurphy 's discussion from I finally created a text replacement to convert “eg” to “e.g.,”. What’s your “life’s too short to waste keystrokes” text expansion?:

I found that I was hitting ⌘-W and ⌘-Q accidentally, so I created a Keyboard Maestro macro for those keys that justs bloops and keeps my windows from closing.

3 Likes

I use Chrome and Firefox in working hour and Safari in chill time. I ‘created’ (stole and modify from lot of sources) applescript to change default browser to front-most browser. Here is the script in Raycast’s GitHub repo.

I also have two different model DELL monitors with vesa stand, I ‘created’ script to toggle screen rotation <degree>°, or revert it. Here is the script, that you need to adjust a little, also in Raycast’s.

2 Likes

Keyboard maestro shortcut to switch to Light Table View in Keynote. Did this a week ago. Should have done it YEARS ago.

2 Likes

I’ve mentioned this elsewhere, but I have KM conflict menus for each of the apps that I use most frequently. Those context menus contain the macro set I’ve developed for each app. My time-saver shortcut is ^ \ , which always invokes the right conflict menu for the right app depending on what app has the focus at the time.

My super time saver on the Safari conflict menu is a macro (invoked with 6 ) that copies the selected text to the clipboard and appends the web page title as a markdown link.

So the quote clippings pile up in Copy 'Em for dragging later into whatever markdown app I’m using.

2 Likes

The Discourse keyboard shortcuts—get a help sheet by tapping ? on any Discourse forum—are pretty neat. (Alternative hot take: maybe I should waste less time on Discourse…)

I don’t know if it counts as a keyboard shortcut, proper, but I haven’t navigated through folders in Finder since I set up Alfred when I first switched to the Mac. That was 2012 or so? I just do cmd+space, then type (for files) or f (for folders), space, and start typing the name. (Holding cmd and hitting enter on a file will reveal it in Finder, too.)

Last one. Windows long had a window-swapping feature: alt+tab will switch to the last window you had open. Keep tapping the combination to switch back through further windows. On Mac, I missed this feature for a while, until I found Contexts, which provides the same functionality.

(However, I think this is a bad habit from my years on PCs. I do think it’d be better if I just got used to the big screens I have now and moved windows around. Instead, I have this frenetic behaviour where I look for the window I want by tapping the keys repeatedly. Bad for cognitive capacity.)

1 Like

So many shortcuts!

0619ED9D-2651-4B6B-A4ED-BBD1B90724CD_1_201_a

2 Likes

They’re great, especially j/k navigation straight off the thread to the next unread post. You can tell from the “days read“ column who’s using the keyboard heavily. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah…yep. It’s also a wall of shame.

2 Likes

Tell me!

2 Likes

By far my most used expansion is @; which expands to my primary email address. It gets used in login forms a lot.

2 Likes

Email:

1. Delete
  2. Cmnd + N (new email)
  3. Cmnd + R (reply)
  4. Cmnd + Shift + D (Send)
  5. Cmnd + Q (Qiuit)

Command-P 2x for Print-to-PDF (requires set-up configuration)

2 Likes

My work requires me to enter the intranet id and password for many of the internal websites and systems. I have a Keyboard Maestro hotkey to enter the user id and password. The password is extracted from iCloud Keychain, so, that’s “somewhat” secure. I saved tons of minutes from this.

1 Like

I have a similar setup for my school’s VPN. It was a game-changer when I set up KM to fill in all the blanks for me. When I assigned that to a button on my Stream Deck, the clouds parted to blue skies, fluffy kittens frolicked in the meadows.
Unfortunately, I still have to use Duo on my phone to confirm the 2FA.

2 Likes

The last one that vastly improves my daily experience involves unlocking my MacBook Pro with my Apple watch. When at my desk I usually have my ethernet cable plugged in and wifi turned off. In order to log in with my watch wifi has to be on, though. So I used keyboard maestro to solve this. I lock my mac via shortcut, then keyboard maestro turns on wifi and starts my screensaver. Once I return, the mac unlocks via apple watch and then turns off wifi. Also, even if not a keyboard shortcut, wifi toggles depending on the ethernet cable being present and plugged in, or not. This way I don’t have to think about switching wifi on or off.

1 Like

I use @myinitials to enter my initials (CMR).

3 Likes