What are your most contrary MPU opinions?

Hazel is good. Automation tools are great indeed. I love Mac. Would love to have a hackintosh machine.

2 Likes

Vis-à-vis that really long Fantastical thread: “Rockin’ stock.”

2 Likes

I have had Quicksilver installed on every Mac I use since I first heard about it via Merlin Mann’s 43 Folders. Never tried Alfred or Launchbar. I think it was Merlin Mann who said it made him feel like he had a neural interface with his Mac, and I still feel the same way.

qsapp.com for the win!

1 Like

I’ve long since switched to Alfred, but had nothing against Quicksilver and loved it. I actually thought it had gone out of production long ago, and that’s why I dropped it, but maybe that’s my memory playing tricks on me.

I had one. It was in use for 11 years. Then it was used as a music player for several more years. I looked into putting a Mac mini in it but the wiring was beyond me. Ended up selling it for $300.

I still have mine. Along with my Amiga 1000, I consider it a ground-breaking machine.

1 Like

Lastest contrarian opinion

OmniFocus, Agenda, and other note-taking/task management/calendaring apps are essentially just implementing features that have been in org-mode for years, some over a decade.

Edit: corrected “decades” because org-mode began in 2003.

3 Likes

I have been playing with org mode recently and am quite delighted at how powerful it is - I have only been using it as an outliner. But, as rumours of subscriptions loom ahead, I wonder it is worth using as a task manager.

1 Like

tw:subscriptions

Oh, do you mean OmniFocus subscription rumors?

I haven’t heard too much noise about the design of the Mac Pro case around here. I think that it already looks dated. In a couple of years it will look like a $16,000 relic of 2019.

I had heard rumours about Things…

1 Like

I dont backup. I dont need to now with icloud.

1 Like

Cloud storage doesn’t protect you against stupid user tricks and attacks like ransomware.

3 Likes

To that last point, a timely blog post from this morning:

2 Likes

And yet, we’ve had two instances of it at work, though pre-Catalina. I

'm always astounded at how eagerly and hard users will work to help the bad guys, while being so reluctant to do (or avoid doing) anything that might keep their stuff safe. On the other hand, it keeps me in a job :laughing:

2 Likes

iCloud isn’t a backup. It faithfully replicates whatever you do to another location. File gets corrupted? It’s corrupted on iCloud. File gets deleted? It gets deleted on iCloud. A lesson I learned the hard way five years ago with Dropbox.

If you’re only using iCloud, you’re breaking the 3-2-1 rule of backups.

6 Likes

Found the optimist in the group :wink:

9 Likes

I am a big fan.

Fascinated by those interesting hemispheres. I would like to use a flat plate of them as a seat in my kayak. Drain water. Circulate air.

I also just like the look.

100% agree. If they hadn’t had the marketing and public relationships skills of Jean MacDonald (and a healthy podcast advertising budget) then they would have failed on the bare merits of the actual apps, which are just not good at all.

6 Likes

I don’t understand the love for Drafts. I find it clunky and unattractive. Having said that, I’ m a big fan of MPU and get a lot from it, though some of it does go over my head.

8 Likes