What Creative Projects Have You Done With Your Apple Gear?

What creative projects have you completed on your Apple gear?

I’d love to read about (and see/hear) any creative projects that MPU listeners have created using their Apple gear. It could be anything; a photo, a book, a song, a video, a web site, a game, or whatever. Show us what you made and tell us a bit about how you made it.

Please share your creations here!

For my own part, my most recent creative project was inspired by a couple of things:

1. The news that Voyager 2 has entered inter-stellar space
  2. The fact that Apple created their recent iPad Pro advertisement videos completely on the iPad Pro itself

The Voyager 2 news inspired me to write a poem about the awe-inspiring journey of Voyager 2, and I had the idea to write it from the perspective of Voyager 2 itself - I wondered what it might thinking out there on its own in inter-stellar space, doing its duty on behalf of human-kind.

The Apple iPad Pro ad campaign inspired me to try to turn that poem into a song, and then a video using only the iPad Pro.

Anyway, you can hear the song on YouTube here:

The Ballad of Voyager 2

The main apps I used were Drafts for the poem/lyrics, Garageband for the song, LumaFusion for the video, and Safari/Shortcuts/Dropbox to capture the robotic voice clips and the video snippets. It may not be the greatest song/video ever, but I do feel quite satisfied that I managed to make it all on a 10.5” iPad Pro over the course of just a few hours.

It’s amazing to think that the iPad Pro probably has around 2 million times more computing power than Voyager 2! So when comparing a trivial song to a robotic voyage out into the cosmos, I think it’s pretty obvious which has the better achievement per computing cycle ratio. :slight_smile:

Anyway, what creations have you produced with your Apple gear?

6 Likes

Oh, that was fantastic! I enjoyed it very much, thanks for creating it and sharing here. That was a very nice thing to watch while waking up. I’ve got a few paintings of various nebula that I’ve done with Procreate on the iPad will share them after I finish my first cup of coffee.

These were each based on a photo and painted in Procreate. Each one over the course of about a week, about 24-26 hours per painting. I’ve seen almost all of these through my 12” reflector telescope which is also a nice view but not nearly as colorful or as detailed. The exception is the Horsead nebula which is notoriously difficult to see. I know I’ve had it in my eyepiece but not actually sure I’ve ever seen it and I’ve tried for many hours, many different nights. One day!

The Orion Nebula:

A portion of the Eagle Nebula with Pillars of Creation

Close-up of the Pillars of Creation

The Lagoon Nebula

A close-up infrared view of the Horsehead Nebula

Progression of a painting of a wide-field view of the a nebula complex in Orion, Horsehead nebula very tiny in this one, towards the bottom middle.

8 Likes

Wow! Those are stunningly good!

1 Like

My wife uses her iMac for converting pictures into embroidery files to use on her sewing machine. She made a quilt for her sister that included embroidered pictures of her dogs in the quilt.

4 Likes

Wow, such creative uses. I’m impressed!

Sounds great! My mum does a similar thing by making cross-stitch patterns from photos of her grandchildren.

1 Like

This is a bit old, but also this may be the right place…

Drawn in Graphic on the original iPad Pro 12.9.

4 Likes

@glenthompson — what software and what sewing machine is she using?

She uses Stitch Buddy and Embrillance on a Husqvarna Diamond. Also Sew-What.

1 Like

Too many to name. Here are two images I created using Frax on my new iPad Pro.

1 Like

Very cool. I used to use fractal programs back in the day, on a Centris 610, which didn’t have an FPU. I used an FPU emulator and would let the image render overnight. :joy:

I had my C64 run overnight to render 320x200 fractals…one sometimes they weren’t done. :smiley:

After all, the processor had a clock speed of ~1MHz.

This is another poem/song that I wrote and recorded totally on the iPad using Scrivener, GarageBand, and Luma Fusion.

It’s about the poster child of hostile architecture.

“Anti-Ode to the Camden Bench”

2 Likes