What Fine Apps Are You Drifting Away From?

Moving away from Evernote to DEVONthink

Are these two apps not orthogonal to each other?

I left BBEdit for PhpStorm, which is IMHO a much better and smarter editor for my Web development needs.

BBEdit - All my web sites are Wordpress now and I donā€™t use it anymore.
Photoshop - I can do everything I need to my photos in LightRoom
Photoshop Elements - Used to use to make smaller files for web sites. Not needed now.
Evernote - Never really got into it at all so no loss there
MailSteward - never got it to work properly so went with a manual DEVONThink system for e-mail archiving
OmniOutliner - Thought it could be used for repeating lists but it hasnā€™t worked out well so still stuck with SplashShopper

1 Like

Iā€˜m always thinking of moving away from Devonthink. I donā€™t really need it but I still think I might someday. It makes some stuff more complicated (saving a new file e.g.) but others easier (web clipping). Didnā€™t decide yet.

1 Like

Agenda would be awful for being the ā€œeverythingā€ organizational note app, but Iā€™m loving it for transient notes. I have a project for each client, and I type my meeting notes in a new note in that project automatically added to the calendar. The result are effortlessly transient notes I never have to file or delete or clear out when closing a program, and the 10% of the time I actually need to refer back to one, itā€™s there.

2 Likes

I finished my migration from SimpleNote this year. I used it heavily between 2010 and 2016, but since Apple Notes got its upgrade I decided to move everything to Apple Notes. Iā€™m really thankful to Automattic for buying the project and keeping it going, and I didnā€™t doubt it would continue, but I feel more comfortable keeping sensitive information between iCloudā€™s 2FA and on secure devices.

Yes, but prefer DEVONthink, because it is not web base product & it is a one time charge. Also talked to many people, stating DEVONthink is a more powerful tool.

Iā€™m moving to DEVONthink & away from Evernote. I have heard many good things about DEVONthink, eg. one time charge, not a web base program, more tools, but does have a mild learning curve. So I purchased, Take Control of GETTING STARTED with DEVONthink 2, to help me with the program. Rosemary Orchard suggested purchasing the book.

1 Like

Evernote> DevonThink> KeepIt
KeepIt may hang around and become entrenched.

3 Likes

Interesting. I went Devonthink>EagleFiler on macOS a couple of years ago but keep side-eyeing KeepIt as a potential cross-platform solution. (I am up-to-date on Devonthink, but I just donā€™t like the UI or the implacable devs.)

2 Likes

I think that for my needs the Finder could maybe be enough, but then Iā€˜d some tool to capture webpages easily (maybe a plug-in?).

1 Like

This makes so much sense. Iā€™m tired of burning mental cycles about apps. Any advice?

I like Keep It. But man. It seems like itā€™s one guy. That freaks me out a little.

1 Like

Not sure that I ā€œneedā€ either Devon or KeepIt. But I wanted to pull some files out of Evernote so I invested time in learning DT. Just didnā€™t like it. This was an iOS experience.

KeepIt did what I wanted without clunk or clunky feelings. Notice lots of feeling words ā€¦ nothing to do with good or evil.

Now, I keep stashing PDF manuals in KeepIt. Expect it to be around for some time tocome.

2 Likes

Apps that Iā€™ve stopped using: Ulysses, Airmail, Spark, OmniOutliner, Dropbox

Apps that Iā€™ve started using again: OneNote

My OneNote usage has increased dramatically over the last month or so as my current project at work is collaborating heavily using Teams/SharePoint and the Office 365 apps. Thereā€™s about a 50/50 split between Windows and Mac users and the Microsoft suite works seemlessly across both platforms.

Now that DEVONthink syncs to iCloud I have no real need for Dropbox anymore. A few iOS apps that use it for syncing/backup at thatā€™s about it. For cloud storage, I have OneDrive Personal and OneDrive for Business accounts, each with 1TB of storage.

Iā€™m trying to reduce app usage generally where I can, in order to remove the dilema of where to write and/or store something. Immediate stuff goes into OneDrive and reference and archive material goes into DEVONthink.

1 Like

This.
I have too many options: Agenda, Bear, Ulysses, Drafts, Notes, etc.

2 Likes

Iā€™m still trying to figure this out. Iā€™ve been using Notability on the iPad to handwrite notes. I find myself having to export each note individually to a PDF. As I type this, Iā€™m starting to think, I should just switch to Microsoft Word to take notesā€¦

1 Like

I think the pocket casts update was just brilliant.

1 Like

When Newton closed I moved to Airmail. Now Iā€™m thinking of moving back to Mail. Its not playing nice with Spamsieve and I am losing mail between different devices.

1 Like