What is Your Favorite App ... Ever

Discounting any software that I have actually writing, since that is like choosin between children.

My favourite app is Pro Presenter for Mac, it is ludicrously overpowered for what I use it for now, but years ago I invested in a licence and I have not regretted it. (Pro presenter is the sort of tool you use for concert multimedia), It’s sufficient to say that people tend to really enjoy when I give a presentation as it is unlike every other man and his boring PowerPoint

OmniOutliner: because I have used it regularly since the day I installed it, on a series of Macs, iPads and iPhones.

Trello and AirTable for their everyday usefulness and ease of use, both on the Mac and on the PC I have to use at work.

1 Like

Aperture. ::sad face::

9 Likes

Currently:

• MATLAB - without it I couldn’t analyze my research data.

I had twelve other things listed, but that wasn’t the question.

Window shade back in os 7? 8? It was a plug-in you bought that when you clicked on the menu bar of a document it rolled up the screen. Either Apple bought them or copied it because by os 8 or 9 it was standard. People don’t realize how Back in the day if you needed to go to the desktop you had to close the app you were in.

Most of my favorite apps are apps that aren’t work but just make my life easier.

Find my phone. Really. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve needed to find my kid’s phone. Life (and phone) saver.

Maps. I get lost easily. GPS on phone has kept me from freaking out trying to get to new places.

Expensify has really made expense reports less agonizing and kinda fun.

Overcast💪🏽 Smart speed has saved me hundreds of hours.

5 Likes

And if you still use the Stickies app, it still does that. IMHO very convenient, and always has me crossing my fingers they don’t drop this now somewhat archaic application!

1 Like

Oh yeah!!! I haven’t used stickes in like forever!!!

That’s easy — LaunchBar.

It makes my days more productive without drawing attention to itself, creating the illusion that it’s translating my thoughts into instant actions around the file system, like a tireless personal assistant who places just the right document or application right in front of you before you know you need it. These are slight exaggerations of it’s powers, but only slight. It’s the one app that never fails to delight me.

4 Likes

I thought it would be interesting to see a broader view of this thread. So, here’s my code and here’s the top ten favorite apps ever.

App Votes
1 1Password 37
2 Alfred 28
3 Drafts 26
4 Omnifocus 23
5 Workflow 17
6 Things 16
7 Evernote 14
8 Keyboard Maestro 13
9 OneNote 12
9 FileMaker 12
9 Devonthink 12
9 Overcast 12
10 TextExpander 11

Edit: This is a not a smart program in the sense that it doesn’t check for repeated words in a single post or check to see if the post is talking positively about the app.

6 Likes

Hi Dustin: I see you use Omnifocus & Things. Can you explain how you use these two apps? Thank you

@Yaakov Are you asking me? My above post was what I’d extracted from this entire thread not my list of favorites. But, if you want to know I don’t use Omnifocus and have been using Things for the last couple months mostly as a generic to do list app. I don’t really have enough things I need to do that I require a system for reminding myself of them.

This is a really interesting thread and it’s got me to try Drafts finally. Although that may become my choice, 12 hours is a bit soon to pick it.
However, Fantastical is not without problems, Procreate has has bug issues, Notion is fiddly.

My top 3 are:
Xcode as it provides an incredible entry point for rookie app development.
1Password for making secure passwords a real thing, and the clever implementation ‘hacks’.
Notes, which fits perfectly with my brain for storing things, and is very flexible (including allowing tables, which most competitors seem to skip).

Xcode pips it for me.

It would appear that this thread should have just been titled “What is Your Favorite App” as all of these are currently available. Gives me an idea for a new thread.

3 Likes

iOS game, but hopefully this counts…

There is a game called “Pebbles” that my dad and I were both addicted to; it died around iOS 7, but then they released a new version around iOS 9… we were very happy when it came back ‘to life’!

Same here. Network engineer. ITerm followed by SecureCRT.

Hmm interesting it seems like only 3 (Drafts, OneNote & Evernote) make top billing in what I view as Content Creation apps. The rest fall into what I call storage/memory solutions, productivity enhancements and Content consumption (Overcast)

I have to put in a vote for my new favorite a relatively new piece of software called Milanote also runner up to Screenflow and Excel.

MAC - haven’t seen SCREENFLOAT mentioned. Humble little app which I probably use the most of all the other usual fabulous ones mentioned already.

IOS best app for design has to be SCRIVENER. Actually not my most used but hands down best app design for iPhone 8plus. Drafts a close second.

I’ve never heard of this and I do presentations every day, it looks cool.

How do you cope if you cannot use your computer to do the presentation? I frequently have two do talks in conferences and government insitiutions where you have to just email a ppt before you present and they do not allow presenters to use their own devices. In some cases, they don’t even have internet access on the presentation computers.

Can you export the file and does it still look ok?

I am in the same boat. Escpecially at the big conferences you are expected to send in your presentation in advance. And I also noticed that the higher the expertise of the audience, eye candy becomes less relevant.