What is Your Favorite App ... Ever

Of all the software you’ve ever used on any platform, which is your favorite?

I know that’s a hard question. I actually thought about this one a long time. I loved the basic interpreter on that original Tandy Color Computer 2. I even loved the talking moose. At the end of the day, however, my favorite app ever is OmniFocus. (Sorry. Predictable.) Looking over the last years of my life, I’ve turned a lot of things upside down for the better and OmniFocus has been an essential tool in this effort. I’m not sure how I’d handle my involvement in the Apple community, my law practice, and my dad responsibilities without it.

How about you? What is your favorite app ever?

10 Likes

I am STILL attached to QuickSilver. Merlin Mann’s talk of it back in the day did a number on me, and I’ve never gotten over the switch away from it. Keyboard shortcuts are my lifeline. I’d be much less productive without them.

4 Likes

Off the top of my head, I :heart: Noteshelf 2 on the iPad: I suppose this is a spontaneous choice given the sheer amount of time I spend in the app - and the fact that I’m a sucker for stationery (pens, highlighters, mechanical pencils, battery-powered erasers, and so forth), and generally obsessed with doodling/lettering/sketchnoting.

Noteshelf gives me a chance to satisfy my addiction in virtual land - their Apple Pencil experience is super-close to pen and paper, especially when coupled with an appropriate screen protector (I use Paperlike) - and the fact that I have more colors to play with than I ever will IRL :smiley: It’s just really satisfying!

If we’re allowed to name about more than one app, then my honorable mentions would include Things, Keyboard Maestro, Alfred and VS Code.

4 Likes

That’s easy: Scrivener! If I could have only one app it would be that one.

10 Likes

I’m not sure if it qualifies as an app, but the machine language monitor for the Apple II has a place in my heart (entered via CALL -151). It was like a window into the lowest levels of how a computer worked, and was invaluable at a young age.

5 Likes

Drafts 5 would be top of my list. So many uses and abilities, only limited by the imagination (and needing to learn JavaScript… but that has started)

6 Likes

Argh. Such a tough question! :sweat_smile::thinking:
Omnifocus, Drafts, Evernote, Day One, Oh My!

At the end of the day, I think Evernote is at the top of my list.

4 Likes

Of all the apps I’ve used, Drafts has changed my workflow the most. Second on the list is OmniFocus.

4 Likes

Drafts was a complete game changer. Cannot imagine working without it.

1 Like

I would have to say that Drafts 5 has been a game changer. A close second would be Things 3 for me. It helps keep me organized better than I have ever been. Drafts 5 and Things 3 together make me feel unstoppable.

4 Likes

Easy! Keyboard Maestro!

(runner-up: Adobe After Effects)

3 Likes

That’s the sort of question where I’d probably come up with a different answer depending on what day it is, but currently I’d have to say Adobe Lightroom.

Some honourable mentions: WordStar, Deluxe Paint, Audible.

I don’t know if it’s my favorite, but MATLAB/Simulink is my most used and the most impactful to my work life. Been using it since college, over a decade now. It’s what introduced me to programming, and it’s what got me to where I am today.

I was hoping to be unique, but Drafts for me too. Changed the whole way I think of interacting with a device - capture first, think later!

Will I be tarred and feathered if I say Excel? I know, I know, but… so much power! And AppleScriptable to boot!

8 Likes

Tricky question, but I think I’d have to go with OmniGraffle. It never ceases to amaze me.

4 Likes

One of the first to come to mind is 1Password for the Mac. On iOS side, I really like Downcast. Started using it initially when Apple Podcast app wasn’t that great.

4 Likes

I :heart: 1Password, Overcast and OmniFocus

4 Likes

I would have to say my favorite would be the 2Do app. I have tried Omnifocus and Things 3, but I always go back to 2Do.

3 Likes

The XyWrite word processor. I wonder if they make a version for the Mac that runs on High Sierra.