What Screenshot app do you use in MacOS?

I switched from Skitch to Monosnap and have been extremely happy with my decision. I use it everyday at work and find it is perfect for my needs. It’s also a free app with premium features available for a one time five dollar charge.

2 Likes

Being a Skitch user, my friend highly recommend SnagIt. The only reason I am considering it is because I have no equivalent tool in Windows (and I am using the open sourced Greenshot, which, admittedly is feature limited). SnagIt license allows two usage - PC and Mac and so I just started the trial version on the Mac. I love the rich annotation features it provide but boy oh boy, it’s a $50 app. That seems kinda expensive to me and I will try and use it for the next two weeks before deciding. Any SnagIt users here ?

+1 for Monosnap. Have been using the free version for a long time now and it has everything that I need. It is super lightweight, well designed and intuitive to use. I love it!

1 Like

I use Snag-It on Windows and macOS. Started on Windows, because it’s amazing there, and finally started using it on macOS earlier this year due to the editor, macOS still has some differences that need to be brought over, but it works great and now I prefer it to the macOS screenshot feature.

One of my favorite features is the GIF export, so I can record a short video for documentation and export that as a GIF.

Thanks… I am surprise that the MacOS version of SnagIt is a 380MB download! I think once I installed it, it became a 800MB program… such a heavy duty app for a simple task… admittedly, I do enjoy some of its features especially full screen web page capture (it will scroll a multi page web site and take snapshot of them and then patch them up into one long screenshot to be exported).

@tomalmy I too still use Skitch, but it is still syncing with my EN account in the Skitch folder. Can you clarify your statement that it restore without Evernote. I am using the Mac Desktop version and it continues to operate fine “Knock on Wood”

I don’t have an Evernote account. It says I’d have to sign in to save to Evernote, which of course I can’t do. But I can Export to save anywhere or just drag and drop, which is what I usually do. I forget now how it was crippled at first when Evernote bought it, but I know that I continued to use a pre-Evernote version until they came out with one that is fully functional and actually better than it was prior to their purchase.

I use Better Touch Tool with a shortcut on my Touchbar. It’s nicely customisable and sends it to the clipboard automatically, which is what I want to happen 100% of the time.

Always use “Screenshot.app” which is in ~\Applications\Utility folder.

1 Like

Using the built-in system tools. For annotation, I use Napkin and the occasional sharing, the Dropshare account bundled with Setapp.

There is now a very nice built-in one that shows up on the TouchBar. I also use SnagIt 2020 which is great and also easy to use.

That’s what I use also. Works great. I probably use it daily.

I usually end up using Command Shift 4. Command Shift 5 gives you all the different options if you want to do something more custom including actually recording the screen.

I used to use Voila which was discontinued (irritating) and now will occasionally use Capto if I am doing some big project. But I have not used enough to have any valuable opinion. Usually, I am doing some casual one-off thing and find the built-in Mac tools just fine.

For capture the built in Mac keyboard shortcuts work great.

But for editing there is only one power tool to use (and I’ve tried them all) Snagit.

Snagit has the best markup and editing tools. The one i cant find in any other app is the ripple delete.

Some of my ‘workflows’:

cmd shift 4, spacebar
to capture to clipboard, then
caps lock hyper key ~
to upload clipboard to Dropshare to get a link I can paste into markdown

whatever key command I have - ctrl shit 5 - for capturing and annotating with Cleanshot X, then
either copying to clipboard to upload to Dropshare
or (auto)saving the annotated screenshot to a local folder

sometimes I run a terminal command for auto capturing screenshots at a specified interval - e.g. 300s - to save to a folder if I feel like ‘documenting’ a process but don’t want a screen recording to hog all of my cpu resources and spin the fans more than they already are spinning.

I’ve started using CleanShot - really like it.

1 Like

In 2016 I upgraded from Voila to Capto - mistake. Capto and its tools run too sluggishly for me to regularly use. The one thing I liked it for was for capturing full web pages as jpegs but there are other utilities I can use for that.

Two years after my initial reply in this thread I’m using the same tools: my multi-clipboard app Copy’Em Paste to copy selections to the clipboard (which if needed I can drag to the desktop), or SnapNDrag Pro, which can do selections/windows/screens/timed captures lets you organize and rename (even batch rename) screenshots into folders in the app, has better editing and annotations than macOS, outputs to jpeg/png/tiff, lets you auto downscale 25%/50%/75% on drag-n-drop export, add borders, and has nice share-sheet options too.

Darn, you cost me $20 bucks today. They both look like great apps. Thanks.

Before I got SnapnDrag I was using Snappy which I see is now free (I’m pretty sure I paid something for it a couple of years ago) - nice more lightweight screenahot app, has a simple snaps-library, and it ‘floats’ screenshots after you take them, which can be useful when you want to compare a screenshot with something on another screen (and annoying otherwise, making you have to manually hide the floated image).