What SD Card Reader does everyone use?

So ever since I brought my Macbook Pro (mid 2014, Retina), I have always had used with the built-in SD card reader. It just seems to be uber sensitive on placement.

1. Does anyone else have the same problem?
  2. Does anyone else use something else that won’t screw up SD cards?

I’ve experienced that with both a late 2012 non-retina MacBook Pro and a mid 2015 MacBook Pro. I find I have to push the card all the way in and slowly pull it out until the machine recognizes it.

The faster SD/SDXC card slot on my 2017 iMac made my card reader redundant, so it’s sitting forlorn on a shelf somewhere.

I used the USB 2.0 version of this $35 updated USB3 Lexar card reader. It’s been bombproof and I’ve owned it since 2007 or so. I can’t say enough good things about it. Was recommended to me by a photojournalist who owned one himself.

Yeah, that Lexar reader is a good one. I’ve used it’s predecessors with great success.

My cameras shoot both Compact Flash (CF) and SD cards, so the SD card reader on the back of my iMac isn’t enough.

Then I’d certainly recommend the current USB3 dual-slot Lexar reader. Bombproof little guy.

2 Likes