What Setapp apps do you use?

Thanks! That’s helpful, I should have looked closer.

Bartender - hide menu bar apps

BetterTouchTool - see most recent MPU

BetterZip - I only use this for QuickLook on .zip and other archive files

BusyCal - I use Fantastical now but this is a great calendar

BusyContacts - better contacts app

CodeRunner - I use this for testing scripts as I’m writing them

Downie - download videos from YouTube and almost any other location

Endurance - extend your MacBook’s battery

Forecast Bar - nice forecast app, includes weather alerts

iStat Menus - I use weather with this too

Jump Desktop - better screen sharing

MacPilot - tweak macOS settings

Marked - Markdown previews

MarsEdit - blogging / WordPress posting

Mission Control Plus - one trick pony, but it’s a useful trick

One Switch - handy centralized place for some controls

PDFpen - if I need to do something with PDFs beyond what Preview.app can do, I do it in PDFpen

Permute - handy for merging videos and transforming them

Proxyman - I use Proxie more than this, but this is a nicer app if you need to watch HTTP headers, etc

Screens - I prefer Jump Desktop, but I like Screens too and use them both

SideNotes - I use Tot more now but I liked this for awhile

Simon - server monitoring, need to use this more to keep track of my Macs

TaskPaper - I’m been simplifying my task lists lately

TextSoap - clean up text without having to know a bunch of obscure terminal commands

ToothFairy - connect any type of Bluetooth device, but I use this primarily for connecting my AirPods to my Mac

Trickster - a better “recent files” experience

TripMode - back when I used to leave the house, this was good when tethering my MacBook with my iPhone

Ulysses - I use Bear more often but I like having Ulysses too

4 Likes

@tjluoma – looks like Setapp should vest an ownership percentage on you. LOL

So – is there anything Setapp provides that you do not use?

1 Like

A few, here or there :slight_smile:

Now, I will say that I owned several of those before I signed up with Setapp, but when I am setting up a new Mac, I always prefer Setapp vs having to copy/paste all of the registration codes out of 1Password!

Truthfully I think Ulysses and iStat Menus’ weather subscription probably comes close to making my Setapp subscription come out “even”, and PDFpen isn’t exactly a subscription app, but they do seem to release a new major version every year or so…

2 Likes

Bartender
BetterTouchTool
betterZip
CleanMyMac X
Disk Drill
Downie
Elmedia Player
Expressions
Forecast Bar
ForkLift
Gemini
iStat Menus
Manuscripts
Marked
MathKey
NetSpot
Path Finder
PDF Squeezer
Permute
ProWritingAid
Screens
SQLPro for SQLite
SQLPro Studio
TablePlus
Timing
Typeface
Ulysses
WiFi Explorer
World Clock Pro

BTW - Setapp just added another app that I use / love / recommend

If you want to send a video file from your Mac to your Apple TV, Beamer is the way to do it.

2 Likes

I see lot of people using pathfinder, what are they using it for ?

I’m mostly using it for large transfers of data to my NAS. For some reason, Finder has trouble keeping the connection alive for those big transfers, while Path Finder manages to always see them through.

It’s a replacement for Finder.

Except you can’t really replace Finder, so you end up using Finder and Path Finder.

But Path Finder has a lot of useful tools, bells, and whistles that make it much more powerful. Think “Finder Pro” if Apple had ever decided to do anything with Finder after, say, 2006.

One of my most-commonly-used features is the ability to have two “views” side-by-side to move things between folders. You can approximate this with two Finder windows, but Path Finder is much better at it.

If I could completely replace Finder with it, I’d love it, but since I can’t, I end up using Finder most of the time because inertia.

2 Likes

My most-used features of Path Finder:

1. HUGE file previews that you can actually copy/paste from (unlike the pop-up view in finder)
  2. Batch file rename
  3. Dual-pane view
  4. The Drop Stack
  5. Sidebar showing my most recently opened 10 folders and 10 files
  6. Built-in Terminal app
  7. Text file editor.

If it had the most recent features of Dropbox integrated, I’d never use Finder. But I live in Dropbox, so it’s probably 50/50 usage between Finder and Path Finder.

1 Like

Some of these are apps that I was using (and paying for) prior to Setapp, and some are new discoveries…

2Do
Bartender
Better Touch Tool
Boom 3D
Clean My Mac X
Downie
Expresso
iStat Menus
One Switch
Sip
Timing
Ulysses
Walpaper Wizard

1 Like

I used to have setapp, but I am going on a minimalist approach, and realised I dont need the apps and they distract me…

I keep to the stock apps except for Devonthink, and Curio.

Good that that works for you. For me, if I didn’t already own most of the SetApp apps I’d want to use I’d have jumped on it and stayed there from day 1. I am a registered owner of these SetApp apps, which I also use:

Gemini, iStat Menus, Marked, BetterZip, Elmedia Player, NotePlan, Yoink, BetterTouchTool, Bartender, TextSoap, Forklift, Ulysses, Mindnode & iThoughtsX. I couldn’t imagine using my Mac without a few of those (Bartender, Yoink, Ulysses, MindNode/iThoughtsX), and while a couple are only used sporadically, there are additional SetApp apps I could see myself using too. Great service with high-quality apps.

This is right in the case of Setapp, at least for me. I’m using a bunch of stuff I never heard of and would never have tried if I didn’t buy the Setapp subscription back when it helped me avoid a Ulysses subscription. I no longer use Ulysses, but I use…

Bartender
CleanMyMac
Downie
Permute
Sip
Squash
TextSoap

I avoided upgrade fees for BusyCal and BusyContacts by transitioning to the Setapp versions. And there are a couple other apps I already owned.

MarsEdit is fantastic. I bought the upgrade from the developer to support him, but I highly recommend it. His support for custom fields is outstanding - so if you have a Wordpress setup with custom fields, you can enter the text for those fields directly in the MarsEdit post editor. For example, I have a custom field for a “Player of the Game” on my local sports website, and when I post a game summary, I simply enter the copy for the “Player of the Game” sidebar in MarsEdit, and my Wordpress template gets that copy where it needs to go without logging into the Wordpress back end.

Belated Update / Reply:

I just used PDF Squeezer for the first time in a long time, and I think they’ve had a UI redesign that has made the various compression levels much easier to find. I tried it out and it did an amazing job. Took a 15MB PDF down to under 1 MB, and I can’t tell the difference.

It appears to default to the highest settings, which I’m sure can make the most dramatic size decreases, but also may have undesirable results, depending.

I also like that it will show you how much you can save by each setting, before you even do the ‘squeeze’.

I held off on Setapp for a long time because I didn’t want another monthly subscription, but once it started getting enough of the apps I was already paying for, it became a money-saver. That said here’s what I have installed:

• Bartender
  • Batteries
  • Beamer
  • BetterTouchTool
  • Betterzip
  • Cappuccino
  • CleanMyMac X
  • CleanShot X
  • Donnie
  • Dropshare
  • Dropzone
  • Elmedia Player
  • Espresso
  • FontMagico Pro
  • Goldie App
  • Luminar Flex
  • MacPilot
  • Marked
  • MarsEdit
  • MetaImage
  • MindNode
  • Mission Control Plus
  • Movie Explorer Pro
  • Movist Pro
  • One Switch
  • Path Finder
  • Photo Bulk
  • Pixel Snap
  • Screens
  • TextSoap
  • TripMode
  • Ulysses
  • Unclutter
  • Yoink

The ones I had licenses/subscriptions for before are: Bartender, CleanMyMac X, Downie, Marked, MindNode, TextSoap, TripMode, Ulysses, Unclutter, and Yoink.

I do have to admit that install more than I regularly use and should uninstall some of these because I’m not using them. In fact, in making this list there were several I removed because I had forgotten about them and didn’t even know what they for. But that’s the beauty of Setapp: try it full-featured for as long as you like with zero entry cost.

1 Like

Waited too long subscribing as I had many of the apps already. Plunged in when several licenses/versions expired and needed renewal. The subscription sort of covered the expense. Haven’t looked back. I think Setapp curates its collection very well and all apps are high quality.

1 Like

Very neat to share the image of all Setapp apps. As a visual person, I like this.

This is mine. I do not install many apps.

I really hope Mosaic is not a browser, haha.

1 Like