What to be when I grow up - spinning in place to decide

Hello focused community. I have been working my way through the show and it is fantastic - keep up the good work @mikeschmitz and @MacSparky.

I was wondering if anyone here might have some suggestions to get me off the apparent merry-go-round I seem to be constantly stuck on - I am not sure what I want to be when I grow up (or what my ultimate goal/mission statement is) and I have a tendency to want to do all the things - all the time. I am using OmniFocus (and weakly practicing GTD) on iOS and try to leverage the someday/maybe concept to help put the “new shiny” things at bay until I clear some current things.

Trouble is I seem to be stuck on the same wheel and am not sure how to find or set a goal or determine a mission statement or something to move toward. I have a great job and a great family and all of that - just not sure what I want to be when I grow up I guess so setting/finding values or goals to head toward is very difficult for me.

If anyone has any advice or thoughts I’d love to hear it and look forward to engaging and growing with this community.

Thank you
Derek

3 Likes

That’s a big question without an easy answer. My experience: it takes a lot of trial and error before you land on the right thing. And even then, the right thing often changes. So my best advice would be to not be afraid to try things, and be willing to change your mind. Just because you decide to try something right now doesn’t mean that you have to do it the rest of your life. Be willing to experiment - and to admit that you were wrong and try something else :blush:

2 Likes

That’s a very big question. Even though finding your calling can be very satisfying, the question itself can be paralyzing. I would second Mike - do not sweat it. The world has ways to show you things - get out, do not be afraid to experiment, and remember that human beings are mutable: you can, and will change. Just get out there, try new things, be available to what can come your way, be mindful of the experiments you live, and you are going to be fine. Best of luck!

Thanks for the tips, I guess the stuck part comes from the paralysis of wanting to do everything- but one thing at a time is the way.

Sorry for such a big question on my first post, thanks for taking a run at it. It’s helpful to get insight for sure and see it from other perspectives

1 Like