What WiFi do Apple.Inc have?

I have tested a lot of different WiFi systems, and I currently have a Netgear Orbi setup. It works good, so I really don’t have any reason to change at the moment.

But I wonder; What WiFi setup do they have at Apple HQ in Cupertino? I mean, if they are satisfied and it’s working well, it must be a really good system… :thinking:

1 Like

I’ve occasionally searched for this kind of information but the last time I saw an article describing the hardware & software used at Apple HQ was probably around 2005. At that time they were using many of the same products as most companies, IBM midrange computers, SAP software, Microsoft Office, etc. Today, who knows? They may be using brain to brain networking and hoverboards. :grinning:

I don’t recall even seeing Apple listed as a customer by those few companies whose products they are known to use. Let us know if you learn anything. “Enquiring minds want to know”

That’s actually an interesting question. Does Apple use Ethernet?

Just to put the size of Apple’s campus into perspective…

I read that they use Cisco managed routers in all their stores now, not sure about the HQ.

Cisco’s Enterprise Wifi offering was the Meraki. Excellent Access Points.

Based on the photo, I’m guessing they’d be a good candidate for token ring. :wink:

11 Likes

With no knowledge of what Apple uses, I’ve heard the Ubiquiti line is a solid, commercial-grade wi-fi setup.

I think that, as with many things, there’s a pretty solid demarcation between “home” and “commercial” stuff - with most stuff in the latter category being more solid than most stuff in the former.

I used Ubiquiti UniFi at my previous company and am using their consumer Amplifi mesh system in my home. Both have worked well for me.

I cannot imagine Apple using WiFi. Ethernet is often the go-to solution for connecting an extremely large workplace to the internet.

I’m absolutely certain that they would use both: wired for workstations, and an enterprise WiFi system for notebooks, tablets, and phones.

The largest system that I’ve built had several hundred access points (autonomous at first(!)) and several thousand concurrent users. Colleagues at other places have systems with thousands of APs and tens of thousands of concurrent users.

1 Like

Yeah, I would assume the whole place is covered with Ethernet - and that that’s a preferred connection method for anything stationary.

But this is also a HUGE campus with something like 12,000 people who presumably all have iPhones and/or iPads, MacBooks that they might be bringing to meetings, and other mobile devices.

I can’t imagine they don’t have WiFi everywhere in the building in addition to the Ethernet.

3 Likes

Ubiquity wired Memphis FedExForum for WiFi and that has 18000 seats. So apparently there no real limit if you are willing to spend the money.

(Ubiquity’s CEO owns the Memphis Grizzlies that play there)

1 Like

Maybe they’re just connecting Ethernet adapters to their devices? :man_shrugging:

I think adapters are a non-starter on something portable like the iPhone. Even in a test lab where the device didn’t have to move much, I’d still think they’d be doing wireless just because almost no consumer is going to Ethernet tether an iDevice. :slight_smile:

Also, Apple got to design the building from the ground up. Literally. So if they wanted wi-fi throughout, it would have been pretty easy to design things like wired backhaul infrastructure into the building as a whole.

The problems most consumers have with network coverage just fly out the window if you’re smart and you’re building a completely new building to spec. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

One of my last projects before moving from the network group to starting the security group at my employer was migrating the autonomous AP Cisco WiFi network to one based around 5508 WiFi controllers :slight_smile:

The network team has recently migrated to Extreme for WiFi.

(We were an all Cisco network for most of my tenure (my first major project was to migrate the core to 6500 series switches (back when they ran CATOS for switching and IOS for routing on the same supervisor) from Nortel. Loved Cisco stuff, but really, really wish they’d have adopted Juniper’s options for command line output in XML and JSON)

1 Like

Nice input everybody.

To add to the discussion:

• I have installed a couple of Ruckus systems, and they have worked really good.
  • I have installed two Cisco WiFi system and they sucked big time (to be fair, this was 10+ years ago, I guess they are better today).

There are consumers with a lot of money that always wants the best. For me as a installer I also want it to be easy to install. What should I suggest to them?

:confused:

Have you ever been at any company building over the last 10 years where they didn’t have Wifi? Let alone a tech company. A company that makes laptops without ethernet ports…

Your image of the world out there might not be accurate anymore.

6 Likes

And how exactly could Apple even have WiFi in such a massive campus? There is no way the signal could go that far. Again, I find it more likely that Apple is using Ethernet adapters for any devices that don’t have Ethernet ports.

@vco1 joshagos is most likely a child.

5 Likes