What workout to use on Apple Watch for Pushups?

I want to use my Apple Watch to account for my pushups, which I’m adding to my daily running routine. There does not appear to be a workout specific to pushups. I’ve “Googled” it but I’m finding different answers.

Is there anyone in this forum doing pushups and having the Apple Watch track them? If so, what workout are you selecting, “Core” or something else?

I’m trying to decide between these options:

Functional Strength Training
Choose Functional Strength Training when performing dynamic strength sequences for the upper body, lower body, or full body, using small equipment like dumbbells, resistance bands, and medicine balls or with no equipment at all.

Core Training
Choose Core Training for exercises that build strength for the abdominals and back.

Add a workout
You can browse and add new workout types to the Workout app.
On your Apple Watch, open the Workout app.
Scroll down and tap Add Workout.
Tap the desired workout.

Choose Other when you can’t find a matching workout type. In all workouts, the Heart Rate and Motion sensors work together to give you accurate credit. When you use Other, or any workout type available in the Add Workout section, you earn the credit equivalent of a brisk walk when these sensor readings are unavailable.

OR

Is there an accurate third party non-subscription app that integrates with Apple workouts you’d recommend?

Use functional strength training. Core is for isometric exercise and functional is for dynamic/non-isometric strength.

That assumes you do your pushups fast enough that they don’t appear to be isometric exercises. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

If that were the case I’d never admit it!! :joy:

1 Like

Ideally, all of those but at minimum, the number done (which I could just track in a spreadsheet but that is so 2020) :slightly_smiling_face: and times per week. Pushups are not going to burn up enough calories to matter—I track that with my runs.

Thanks, I’ll check that out.

I use Core Training for pushups.

1 Like

Push ups are strength training with Core involvement. I’d use strength personally.

Slow ones are the difficult ones. And hands not much wider apart than shoulder width. When I was young and dumb, I spent some time in the Army. Kind of a PhD in push-ups. :smiley:

Yes, I often lie on the floor for 10 minutes between each push up. :grin:

Old army push-up rule: if you lie on the floor between them, the count starts at 0 again.

1 Like

Good job I was never in the army so that rule doesn’t apply to me. :grin:

My understanding of the apple workouts is that they try to show the most relevant health stats for that scenario. Not sure what would show up different for functional strength vs core though. In this case I would probably use functional strength. I’ll do the 7 minute workout to get the blood flowing and I’ll select functional strength for the workout.

That made me laugh out loud!!!

Good question, I just took a look and for functional strength training, traditional strength training, and core training they all have the same stats. Running has a different stat.

8564A7FA-DE26-4F05-B8A5-6F9C58ABE759

Here are all the workout types. Workout types on Apple Watch - Apple Support

1 Like