What's an "Ayoa" — Replaces iMiindMap

I use DropTask and subscribe to it. I find it useful. The developers sent this message today:

We believe that we’ve outgrown DropTask, and that our new name, Ayoa, encompasses everything that we are, and everything we have coming up. We are more than task management - we’ll help you to form great ideas, communicate them, and turn them into reality. Excited? This is just the beginning.

Hmmmm … ayoa.

Daya lighta comea anda mea wanna goa homea?

Do you use DropTask solo, or collaborate with others?

Solo. The collaboration feature is very recent.

1 Like

What an odd message. I was bored and curious so did a search, and all I came up with was “are you on acid?”

3 Likes

Which might perfectly explain how they came up with the name.

1 Like

Received the Ayoa launch communication today. They have merged iMindMap and DropTask. iMindMap 11 is the last edition. Ayoa takes its place.

I’ve recently read[1] about a bit of pushback against apps that attempt to be all things. Rather, the author advocated using separate tools selected for their ability to do one thing really well. This does put some responsibility on the user, as they are tasked with moving information from one app to the other, rather than eg. clicking a branch on a mind map and turning it into a task list.

This harkens back to the philosophy of command line Unix, small tools that do a single thing well, chained together to perform a task.

Is the cathedral better than the bazaar?

1. Apologies for lost reference.
1 Like

I think that convergence of many of these types of apps are increasing. Todoist announced that later this year they’re introducing a Trello-like mode; ZenKit lets you swith between Trello/kanban board, table, calendar, or list with the click of a button; Taskade now offers task, Trello and database views with a click, etc etc.

1 Like

In the case of iMindMap / Droptask --> Ayoa, there was already integration between iMindMap and Droptask in previous releases. The integration wasn’t well implemented, but it was there. And it was optional. What changed is that they abandoned their iMindMap client, and moved the features, in part, into Droptask and called the thing “Ayoa”. So, mind mapping is still optional, as an add-on subscription, but it looks like you cannot buy a stand-alone mindmapping app anymore from OpenGenius. (Not sure, the website is confusing.)

1 Like

Has anyone used Ayoa to any extent?
I heard Chris Griffiths, the person behind OpenGenius on the Extraordinary Business Books podcast, and it was a great conversation.

My concerns are speed and stability. iMindMap was unusable to me and my biggest regret of money wasted on software. This is one time that a subscription would have saved me hundreds. A lot of high profile companies use it, so I can only conclude that it’s 1) me or 2) they all use Windows.

I’ve fiddled with it, and bought a subscription to give it a longer-term trial. I wasn’t able to settle into a cadence for using it though, and so I’ve put it aside. Planning on a mind map seems theoretically interesting but in practice, for the kind of work I do, it wasn’t compelling.

I get more use out of Dynalist for notes and action tracking, and occasionally use Dynalist’s Google calendar integration. Unfortunately, Dynalist/Google Calendar it is not a two-way integration though. Two-way calendar integration is a strength of Ayoa.

Katie

1 Like

Agenda has two-way calendar integration, and reminders integration as well, if you’re open to switching.

There’s a discussion about it here. It’s a melding of the dev’s two main apps iMindMap and DropTask.

FYI other apps which offers Mindmap and list views, in addition to kanban (eg Trello) are Taskade and Zenkit. Several months ago I was gifted a 1-yr Pro Taskade account but I just haven’t had the time for a deep dive to see how I liked it.

1 Like

Interesting, thanks! I know I can add an event to a calendar that is synced to Ayoa, and the event appears inside Ayoa’s app. Can Agenda do that?

Katie :globe_with_meridians:

Yes, both ways. Calendar events are shown in Agenda, and you can attach a note to a calendar event, if you wish. You can also create calendar events in Agenda.
They have a tutorial here, and there is a screencast over at ScreenCastsOnline.com.

1 Like